Checking external hard disk has exact data copy?

Reaction score
I want to save my data to an external hard disk. I am a little worried that there might be "write errors", as I have read about that on Amazon reviews about external hard drives. What can I do to protect myself from that? And, now and again, is it worth checking if it has an exact copy? How can I do that? I.e. check if a folder on the external hard disk is an exact copy of one on my Macbook?
Thank you!
Justin

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I want to save my data to an external hard disk. I am a little worried that there might be "write errors", as I have read about that on Amazon reviews about external hard drives. What can I do to protect myself from that? And, now and again, is it worth checking if it has an exact copy? How can I do that? I.e. check if a folder on the external hard disk is an exact copy of one on my Macbook?
Thank you!
Justin

Most backup software has some sort of write verification. I suggest SuperDuper which will actually create a bootable backup on your external drive. If there's any doubts, you can always boot from your backup drive and if it's works, it's a pretty safe bet that your backups are error-free.

OP
J
Reaction score
Most backup software has some sort of write verification. I suggest SuperDuper which will actually create a bootable backup on your external drive. If there's any doubts, you can always boot from your backup drive and if it's works, it's a pretty safe bet that your backups are error-free.

Hmm, that looks interesting. For backing up my whole system that would probably be good. But, is there anything that actually checks if something is an exact copy, I mean with absolutely no errors or differences?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.