Linksys wireless router w/ Airport Extreme question

Reaction score
I'm having a serious speed issue w/ my Linksys WRTP54G wireless router. Lately downloads and surfing have been taking much longer than if I just connect w/ a simple ethernet (yes, I know that wired connections are generally better than wireless ones). I'm looking to get the Airport Extreme to replace it, but I'd still need to keep the Linksys connected, as it's my internet phone router. I'd just daisy chain it thru the airport. Does anyone know if this is a sound idea, or just making the problem worse for my MBP? Any help would be appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm having a serious speed issue w/ my Linksys WRTP54G wireless router. Lately downloads and surfing have been taking much longer than if I just connect w/ a simple ethernet (yes, I know that wired connections are generally better than wireless ones). I'm looking to get the Airport Extreme to replace it, but I'd still need to keep the Linksys connected, as it's my internet phone router. I'd just daisy chain it thru the airport. Does anyone know if this is a sound idea, or just making the problem worse for my MBP? Any help would be appreciated.

There's nothing wrong with your WRT54G, I'm using the same router without any trouble. My recommendation would be to first make sure your firmware is up to date, and then change the security settings to WPA2. You'll see much better performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.