• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Making a Data Disc

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to burn a DVD-R data disc but I have no idea how to, I've been trying to use iDVD but it only seems to be for making DVD movies...I need help, I have alot of files to back up...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
create a burn folder anywhere - desktop, music, documents, or any other folder. drag any files you want to archive to that burn folder (this will create aliases/shortcuts to the actual files). then one of the options within a burn folder, or by right clicking a burn folder is to burn a disc. after you select this, you will be prompted to insert media. insert the dvd-r, and you will get one more option window for burn speed and disc name, and then you're off!

OP
S
Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! do u know how to make it a double layered disc so I can fit 8 GB insteas of 4GB?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
do you have a dual layer superdrive?

not sure myself. i've only got the single layer on my macbook.

OP
S
Reaction score
yes its a superdrive, but when I put 7 GB in the burn older it tells me to remove some files and I cant find any option to make it double layered...

Reaction score
G'day Specialk51288.

Pop your Dual-Layer DVD in the slot drive and it will be mounted on the desktop if you have a tick next to CDs, DVDs & iPods in "Show these items on the Desktop" which is in Finder Preferences. That's all you have to do.

Next, highlight the file/s and ctrl/right-click on them in turn and select Get Info from the contextual menu.

Add up the file size/s and see if they will fit onto the DVD or whether or not you'll have to trim them down. Although the Dual-Layer DVD states that the capacity is 8.5Gb, the real capacity is actually less ...

The quick way to burn to disc is to pop the disc in and then navigate to the files you want to burn and highlight them. Then drag them towards the Disc Icon on your Desktop. Then drag the Disc Icon towards the Trash. The Trash then turns into the Burn icon and the Burn process commences.

If the files you wish to burn are spreadout on your Hard Drive, then create a folder on your Desktop - it can be a Burn Folder or just a plain old New Folder, and press & hold the Option key as you drag the file/s to the folder on the Desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.