Another iMac G3 question..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
I know I have asked a lot of questions about this computer, but I am having another problem. I can't seem to get a lot of programs to work on it. I dowloaded Adium for example, and the icon flashes once on the dock and then dissapears. The program never launches. This is true about several other programs. The computer is an iMac G3 333 with 512 MB of RAM. I have tried repairing permissions, etc.. and nothing has helped. The OS is a clean install done today.. I don't know what else to do about this problem..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
what OS do u have? because adium will only work with 10.3.9 or greater.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hi,

I have the exact same computer as you do for the time being. And for me adium and other programs seem to run on it just nice. But yeah there are a few that bounce in the dock a few times then nothing. Maybe if you check out console. It might lead you in the right direction.

Another thing is have you tried older versions of the same program to see if they run. Cause an there could be an app update your computer doesn't like. And when you find the offending update you could get a little advice on that.

And yeah installing 10.3.9 (if you already haven't) on it will fix many of your problems. But that system does take a long while to install on an old 333mhz. But with patience comes the reward.

If all of that doesn't work, give me a yell. As I have the same computer and memory and can test anything out if you need.

OP
rift0065
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
Well, I do have 10.3.9 installed, and I have remedied the problem by installing all available updates and also using older versions of some software. I am satisfied with this computer as an iTunes server and also for printer sharing (although there is a noticeable lag while accessing itunes music on the iMac from my Macbook). How fast is your computer while browsing the internet? Most web sites seem very "jumpy" and don't scroll smoothly. Sites such as myspace are especially slow, to the point of being unusable. Is there anything I can do to speed things up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
For me my old imac seems to work pretty good. Photoshop and others seem to run pretty smoothly. But I'll admit I don't do any hardcore editing with it yet. And yeah some websites like myspace seem to take ages for me to upload also. But I found a little fix for that. Well kinda a fix. I changed to using the Firefox browser. And there are 2 add ons that really help with performance. Add Block Plus and Fasterfox. The first one removes all the adds from every page and the 2nd optimises firefox so basically the net is faster. Though it does increase your bandwith useage on sites a little though. (ie you use up the sites bandwith a tinsey bit faster). Your personal bandwith/download allotment remains being used in same way as it always is.

And as a itunes server. I thought it would be easier to use it with all of your tracks in the imac itself. I dunno how big the hard drive in it is or if that's what you're after or not. And I think the lag might be from the connection. As I'm pretty sure the imac only has USB 1. But I'm not exactly sure though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.