How do I tell what RSS this is? Starting to be REALLY annoying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I've had my MacBook randomly shut down a few times in the last days. Several times I was in Pages (which I think I HATE, b/c I can't find any auto background save and keep losing my work!).

BTW, my MacBook was new from the end of Dec. So ~ 1 1/2 months old.

I found the other threads on this. I'm about to download the fix from Apple for one of the reasons...heat sink I think. Like I know what that is...!

But I've seen other probs- logic board?

So how do I guesstimate what the prob with mine is?

TIA,

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304308

I found this linked to a thread here from 6/2006. My MB is 6 months newer than that. Should I consider doing this or is it irrelevant for me?

i've noticed 2-3 times now that MB has RSS when I closed it. I was assuming that it would just go to sleep, not crash and lose my work. Grrrrr. Plus it lost my screen background pict with it. I don't get it.

Need your help please anybody, lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Ive always found that its good to keep my pc or mac up to date so give it a go. If that doesnt solve it perhaps a hardware check is in order to see if the ram is ok etc.

Failing that, take it in to a local apple store and get them to look at it :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Sounds like you've got a 'one-off' fault, unrelated to the previous RSS issues that were resolved last year. It could be the PMU or battery. Best people to ask are Apple.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you've got a 'one-off' fault, unrelated to the previous RSS issues that were resolved last year. It could be the PMU or battery. Best people to ask are Apple.

What's:

Ono-off fault?
PMU ?

Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Give Apple Care a call. They can check with you what could be the exact problem. They'll probably suggest you keep your Mac up-to-date with the Software Update among other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
What's:

Ono-off fault?
PMU

That's 'one-off', not 'ono-off'. I mean a manufacturing fault that only affects one machine, i.e. yours.

PMU is the Power Management Unit. It controls the fans, the auto-cut-out when overheating, and the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
simple question, what does RSS mean you see it in blue on safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
it means that the page you are browsing has a RSS feed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmm ok but what does RSS stand for, sorry for the confusion.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Really Simple Syndication

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
it means that the page you are browsing has a RSS feed.

This is an innocent question; I'm confused what RSS has to do with this post?

I know what an RSS is (or at least I know what it is with regards to the internet) but what does it have to do with faulty MacBooks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The original poster thought that maybe RSS was causing their MacBook to crash, and MacTime didn't know what RSS is/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Oh I didn't read anything like that in the original post... Anyway thanks for clearing it up :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks StretchR, and to everyone i apologize for the confusion
and to the starter of the thread, i didnt mean to steal your thread.

;)

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RSS = Random Shutdown Syndrome

I don't have an RSS feed problem. I have a Random Shutdown Syndrome problem. Stole that from other thread I found when searching here. And i didn't think that it was due to RSS feeds either. Sorry for the confusion I caused...

And regarding updates, the only ones I found or recieved weren't even remotely related, (ie, one was for iTunes. I feel pretty confident that iTunes isn't causing my machine to crash :) )

Has anyone else noticed theirs shutting down when it's closed? :(

So if I take it to the apple store, what's going to happen? I need the best and worst case senario. I'm using this thing like a fiend, trying to start a web design company. What is the range of time they could keep it? No laptop = no money. Money is really tight these days and I need this baby to pay it's way, which will be hard if Apple has it for a couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, worse case is they have it a few weeks. Better case is the repair it there, and you have it back within a week. Best case is they say sorry, and hand you a new one.

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed theirs shutting down when it's closed? :(

So if I take it to the apple store, what's going to happen? I need the best and worst case senario. I'm using this thing like a fiend, trying to start a web design company. What is the range of time they could keep it? No laptop = no money. Money is really tight these days and I need this baby to pay it's way, which will be hard if Apple has it for a couple of weeks.

I have been monitoring this forum in hopes that this problem would be fixed!

Last month, I had two MacBooks with this problem during the initial 14 day period. I returned the first computer 8 days after purchasing it and the second replacement computer three days later. Both laptops shut down after being closed. This happened repeatedly. My husband is a software architect who has worked for Apple in the past, and he is sure that this is a major hardware bug. The Apple Store took back both laptops without question and with many apologies. However, this was within the original 14 day period. I could tell from their reaction that they were not surprised.

Every time, the MacBook shut down immediately after I closed it. I could hear it re-start each time. I loved the laptop while I had it and am trying to keep my iBook running long enough so that Apple can fix this problem.

It seems impossible to believe that I could have two laptops have the same problem right out of the box and that few other people are having the problem. I really want one of these computers. Is there any news or progress on this issue?

Also, we were unable to install Firmware on the computer - something the genius at the Apple Store confirmed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
There's no way that RSS caused your MacBook to shut down. Call Apple Care- hardware is likely at fault, sounds like a heat or power problem.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's no way that RSS caused your MacBook to shut down. Call Apple Care- hardware is likely at fault, sounds like a heat or power problem.

no...not RSS as in RSS feed, RSS as in Random Shutdown Syndrome! Boy am I sorry I used that abbreviation!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.