Is this possible/legal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
My dad says he's planning on buying a 20" iMac once Leopard comes out. Now, my question is can I take his Leopard disk and use it to upgrade my MacBook? I really have no idea whether that is possible or legal. Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
1) Its not legal

2) its not possible, the disk is designed for the imac specifically and may run a hardware test to make sure that it is indeed an imac before continuing the installation.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Ok, thanks a lot. I had a feeling it wasn't legal but I was still curious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
As i was informed earlier you are only allowed to use that disc on the computer it came with.
I think it needs to be the same computer type to be able to upgrade as well, as the imac will be different hardware config to your macbook

It would be easiest to buy leopard, i have a feeling it will be around £90 - £100 mark which is quite reasonable compared to microsoft vista

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
What if you go out and buy just the operating system?

Is the user agreement for Apple for a single user or a single computer?
Like I was told that with Windows, you can use the same copy on a desktop and a laptop as long as they have the same user?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is the user agreement for Apple for a single user or a single computer?
Like I was told that with Windows, you can use the same copy on a desktop and a laptop as long as they have the same user?

Its his dads copy tho...

My dad says he's planning on buying a 20" iMac once Leopard comes out. Now, my question is can I take his Leopard disk and use it to upgrade my MacBook? I really have no idea whether that is possible or legal. Thanks in advance!!

So unless his dad owns the mac it will be illegal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
He means just the OS, as in not bundled with hardware, I'd like to know this too..

Reaction score
With a single install disc it's possible to install OS X as many times as you like. It isn't always legal. I'm not 100% sure, but if you are the owner and user (i don't mean user account , I mean user as in person who is doing something with the computer), then I think, and only think, that it's legal. For installing OS X across multiple computers in a household you should purchase the family pack.

Remember, Apple still has no product activation, so these minor freedoms still exist. But be sure to be legal, and support apple, or we will see product activation real soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh i get you

Does anyone have a retail copy of Tiger, they could tell us what the copyright user agreement is on that.
As far as im aware you are allowed one copy on a desktop and a "backup" on a laptop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Remember it is also usually illegal to lend a friend any book, CD or DVD you own.

I bet nobody here has EVER done that in their lifetime :spook:

nef

Reaction score
yes and i think radio should stop playing music... people listening to music for free...i don't think so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Remember it is also usually illegal to lend a friend any book, CD or DVD you own.

I bet nobody here has EVER done that in their lifetime :spook:

That's not even true.

There is a huge difference between lending someone a CD and copying an operating system that will be used simultaneously.

It is in no way illegal to lend a book, CD, or DVD to a friend, otherwise libraries would be out of business.

What would be illegal is for you to make a copy of the CD or DVD and permanently give the original to your friend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It is in no way illegal to lend a book, CD, or DVD to a friend, otherwise libraries would be out of business.
To add to this, libraries and radio stations alike both pay royalties for every time a song is played or a book lent out.

Why are there fines for overdue books? To cover the royalty payments. Every time a library lends out a book, a royalty is paid. The money comes from not only overdue fines, but also from community contribution and Federal, State, and Local funding.

Radio stations also pay royalties. That money comes from advertising revenue primarily. The station has the right to broadcast it, but technically you don't have the right to record it or distribute it.

Nothing is given away for free. Someone somewhere has to pay for it. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
radio stations are generally funded by adverts :)

Reaction score
In switzerland, copying music for personal use is completely legal. Giving the burnt disc with music to a friend is legal too. As soon as I

a) give it to a stranger
b) cash in on it

it's illegal. This doesn't apply for Software, though. I think it's stupid though that you should buy a family licence to install OS X on your desktop and your laptop as well.

I'm happy I'm not faced with that choice anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I just would like to say this was a great thread and I think the Moderators (and MacHeadCase who might as well be a Moderator) did an AWESOME job at clarifying the issue.

M

MacHeadCase

No egandolfi, luckily I'm just a regular member, thank the stars above!

*Sigh of relief*

icon10.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.