powerbook G4 won't start

Reaction score
My powerbook G4 is about 18 months old. Yesterday whilst on the net it froze and it told me to restart. This I did and it ran for about two minutes before the same thing happened. When I restarted it it came up with the starting mac OSX window and then the same message appeared.

Now when I turn it on the fans start, the optical drive runs and then it makes two low beeps before doing nothing else. I have no applecare so they won't help appart from directing me to the website. I've tried resetting the PMU and the PRAM (i think thats what they called it!) but with no joy. I also tried starting from the install disk but again no joy.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be a greatfull recipient an IT friend says it sounds like bad memory but was very non-committal.

Thanks in advance.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
1 beep = no RAM installed
2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
3 beeps = no good banks
4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)
5 beeps = processor is not usable

Have you installed any RAM lately?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
My powerbook G4 is about 18 months old. Yesterday whilst on the net it froze and it told me to restart. This I did and it ran for about two minutes before the same thing happened. When I restarted it it came up with the starting mac OSX window and then the same message appeared.

Now when I turn it on the fans start, the optical drive runs and then it makes two low beeps before doing nothing else. I have no applecare so they won't help appart from directing me to the website. I've tried resetting the PMU and the PRAM (i think thats what they called it!) but with no joy. I also tried starting from the install disk but again no joy.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be a greatfull recipient an IT friend says it sounds like bad memory but was very non-committal.

Thanks in advance.

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300552

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. Already tried the trouble shooting stuff with no luck.

I haven't installed any extra RAM, could this mean what's inside is dead?
With that in mind could changing the RAM solve all my troubles.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Its a real long shot, take out your wireless card. Very unlikely, but its simple to do and worth a crack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.