Wireless network help please

Reaction score
Hi, I have just jumped ship from Windows to Mac ( I have an iMac 20) and am in need of help setting up my wireless network connection.I am using a Netgear DG834G but can't seem to get AirPort setup up to allow me to connect to it wirelessly. With my PC I used WPA encrtyption but on my Mac it keeps asking for a password for which I have tried everyone that I can think of but no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated to allow me to fully appreciate my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Oh, i too have a netgear router :D
what you need to do is changed the security type under the list that is showed on your mac book when trying to enter your password
It should then connect

Let me know if this works :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi, I have just jumped ship from Windows to Mac ( I have an iMac 20) and am in need of help setting up my wireless network connection.I am using a Netgear DG834G but can't seem to get AirPort setup up to allow me to connect to it wirelessly. With my PC I used WPA encrtyption but on my Mac it keeps asking for a password for which I have tried everyone that I can think of but no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated to allow me to fully appreciate my Mac.

If your router is capable of it, I recommend switching from WPA to WPA2. You'll see better performance and less difficulty in maintaining a connection. This has been an issue with WPA recently since Apple released an update to the wireless driver.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys but I am still a bit confused, the security options that I have on my router are Disable, WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy),
WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) and WPA-802.1x. Which should I choose and when prompted in Airport what password should I enter, I have tried the encryption key, the admin password for the router and also the user password for my MAc.

Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone 3G / PowerMac G4 Dual 450 MHz 80GB 256MB / 30GB 5G iPod Black
Look in yoru Airport instruction manual. they have instructions for how to convert your WEP or WPA pass keys to the "password" that Airport asks for. For WEP, for instance, you simply add a "$" to the front of the key.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies guys but I am still a bit confused, the security options that I have on my router are Disable, WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy),
WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key) and WPA-802.1x. Which should I choose and when prompted in Airport what password should I enter, I have tried the encryption key, the admin password for the router and also the user password for my MAc.

Thanks again

When you set your router up to use WPA, you should have setup a password to use with it. That's the password you need to enter on the Mac.

It doesn't appear that your router currently supports anything other than WEP and WPA. I strongly suggest that you check for an update your router's firmware.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OSX will automatically detect if it's WPA. I had an issue with one Dlink router once with WPA, It was set for WPA with TKIP so I tried WPA with AES and it worked. Check your router settings for WPA and see if there is an option to change from AES to TKIP or the other way around.

The password it wants is the WPA Key in the router.

Below is a pic from that dlink. My linksys has the same options for TKIP and AES. On the Linksys it made no difference and both worked but on the dlink only AES would allow my ibook to connect with WPA.

Picture 1.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
I have set the router to use WPA-PSK and with that have entered as security encryption password (example password123), I then use this same password when trying to setup airport to connect (entered exactly as I did in the router) but no joy.

I have checked for the latest firmware for the router but can't find anything.

How do you find the MAC address of the Network Card so that I can enter this into the Wireless Station Access List on the router?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have set the router to use WPA-PSK and with that have entered as security encryption password (example password123), I then use this same password when trying to setup airport to connect (entered exactly as I did in the router) but no joy.

I have checked for the latest firmware for the router but can't find anything.

How do you find the MAC address of the Network Card so that I can enter this into the Wireless Station Access List on the router?

Open up Network in System Preferences and select AirPort. It will show the Mac at the top of the list of settings.

Alternatively, you can open up the Terminal and type:

Code:
ifconfig | grep inet

....which should yield everything you need.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, what version of the DG834G do you have? It should be on the label at the bottom of the device.

OP
S
Reaction score
Success. Thanks for all your help guys. The problem was that I had not entered the MAC address of the AirPort card in thw Wireless Access Control List (I had only entered the MAC of the Ethernet card).

I can now get on with getting to grips with my iMac and OS X.

Thanks for all your help. :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.