Recording problems with microphone

Reaction score
I've been reading around trying to find a solution to very low sound levels when I record.

It seems that the input is a line in which means you need a powered microphone.

I already have a powered microphone which I bought to use with a minidisc recorder - it's a sony ECM MS907.

I tried using the USB - microphone adapter that you can get with Playstation for Singstar without success.

I've even tried plugging the mic into my Behringer Ultra DI-100 to boost the signal.

I'm trying to avoid spending any more money than I absolutely have to. Does anyone know if there is a solution without getting a USB mic or the apple imic adapter thing? Or is my mic simply the wrong sort?

many thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Have you checked in the system preferences? In there you can control the input level of the microphone?

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I'm having the same problem - my built in microphone on my macbook is very very quiet compared to my gf's macbook when I'm using iChatAV. Also, when I use skype, the recipient always hears this 'pinging noise' constantly going. Is there something wrong with my microfone?

When I look in the Sound section in OS X preferences, I can never achieve the full bar for my input sound from my microphone unless i literally scream down the thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
In addition to the Sound section within System Preferences, make sure your settings are correct under Applications --> Utilities --> Audio MIDI Setup.

What application are you using to record? You may have to make adjustments there as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac G5 1,8Ghz SP 1,5Gb
the DI turns everything to mic level. If you plug in your mic in the di, it wil just stay mic level. The behringer tube ultragain mic 100 will give you enough level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 GHz 2GB RAM 60GB HDD
This is what I do if I want to record through my Mac's line input. I hook up whatever microphone I want to use to a simple analog mixer (doesn't have to be a large format mixer, just a simple two or four channel desktop mixer kind of thing). The mixer's mic preamps will give the microphone sufficient amplification and you just have to send the line outputs of the mixer into the line input of your Mac (two 1/4" from the mixer into 1/8" line in of the Mac).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.