ichat

Reaction score
Hey there, I have signed up for the demo of .mac and I'm trying to get ichat to work and I need some guidance.
I click new chat and it asks for the address of the person. Is this the email address or the destination screen name? I'm trying to message a pc on win xp running aim.
When I enter the address and hit ok it dosn't add the name to the participants list. Can anyone give me a fools guide to how this works?
I am new to macs and easily get lost so any help would be gratefully received, thanks for looking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I've never really fooled with a .Mac account on Ichat. I did just do a test, logged in, and added a buddy that I know to own a mac, he appeared (and is on an AIM account). I added another buddy that I know to be online but using AIM and Windows XP and he did not show up as online.

*I just added a few more buddies using both iChat and AIM (Windows), it seems that some Windows users simply do not show up, no rhyme or reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
hmm, I've had windows AIM users show up on my iChat contacts list, and been able to chat successfully with them too. Not sure if they use XP or not, but I imagine they would.
I rarely use iChat, since so few people I know use AIM (or macs for that matter :p) but it seems you only need to add their username. That's all I did and it has worked fine for me.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what else you could do to troubleshoot this problem. Hmm, iChat help suggests that you ensure your friends are using an up to date version AIM, as it might not recognise .mac accounts, or vice versa.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.