set up imail

Reaction score
hi, im new to macs so please bear with me.
I would like to use i mail however when ever i try to enter all my details it is always coming up with an error saying it cant find the smtp server. i know that the smtp server is in fact working. is it possible that a port is blocked or am i doing something completely wrong? So i can receive mail but i cant send mail... if you need anymore details please let me know and if i can help in anyway i will.
thanks very much
JAMES

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Hey James, I'm James too!

I may be ignorant to it but do you mean plain old "Mail" that comes with OSX?

When searching for "iMail" i found imail.org, but they don't look like a mail type of organization. Anyway, assuming you're simply using Mail, there are several issues that you could be dealing with.

1) Are you certain that you have the correct address and port number for the smtp server? The default port may not be the correct one.

2) Some organizations may not allow any smtp transactions outbound unless it is from their own server.

3) If you simply need a bit of explanation in setting up mail, I recommend viewing Apple's Lesson 17

Let us know how it goes and if you require more assistance/advice :bone:

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks, yes i do mean plain old mail... sorry thought it was imail.
1) yes im certain, have tried multiple time as well as used the auto setup file that i can download
2)other people on this server can use mail
3)it uses port 25

thanks James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Odd. In that case James, I recommend reviewing all of your settings. Try recreating the account. If other computers on the network are able to send things appropriately, try and mirror someone else's settings exactly simply to test and see if there are any other issues. Since you have the correct port pay special attention to things like SSL and the type of server authentication (usually just Password, but you know what happens when one assumes).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.