• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie / Exporting / Compressing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Unibody Macbook Pro, 10.6.8
Hello,

I never edited video before and know nothing about it. The other day I took a video of a friend and decided now would be a good time to learn a little about iMovie.

So, I have this 230mb video that I would like to add a simple title and compress into a smaller size for the web. Am I wrong or does iMovie not allow me to do this without .mac? Do I need to purchase Quicktime Pro for this? Any freeware apps out there?

Thanks,

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
iMovie will do this and does not require .mac nor Quicktime Pro.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
iMovie will do everything that you need. Just play with it, you will figure it out in no time.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Unibody Macbook Pro, 10.6.8
Thanks a lot! Sometimes you need reassurance the options are there. I should have searched more :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I just did the same thing. Since no one else spelled it out, click on share at the top and chose your format. Then select where your going to be putting it (so like for youtube.com you'd select Web). Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.