Opening new applications/folders...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 (soon to be 2Ghz Macbook), 30g video iPod BLACK
I have tried searching for this in various ways on the forum but cannot seem to find an appropriate thread...
I've been a Mac user for over two years (iBook g4). My wife and I bought a Macbook for her a couple weeks ago. Everything is going fantastic (of course) and we couldn't be happier. However, there is one tiny little difference I have seen with everyday usage of her machine compared to mine (besides being superior in every way). Every time I open a new application, say from the Dock, that application opens up behind any others that I have opened. If I have nothing else open, "Finder" remains open/active while the new app, say Safari remains dim/inactive. Am I explaining this well? This is really bugging me that I cannot think of how to change this...I'm sure it is very simple but I just can't get it. I am no novice Mac user, I'm just drawing a blank. Is this perhaps how a Macbook is supposed to be?

Lost and feeling a little silly....
Thanks!

M

MacHeadCase

Wow, MonteGss. You're the second member to post about this annoyance and we never could find a real solution, I don't think. The other thread was started maybe a a month, a month and a half ago. I'm not sure but I think someone mentioned QuickSilver to make windows active?

This is where writing a good title for a thread that represents what the thread is all about kicks in: a HELP ME! MY MAC IS SICK! HELP ME! PLEASE! doesn't help at all in the searches or isn't descriptive so others can know at a glance what the thread is all about. And no way can we read every single thread posted in here. Ack! :D

OP
MonteGss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, at least I know I'm not alone. :)
You're quite right about a descriptive title; I must have read about fifty threads in search of an answer before I posted.
Thank you for your response regardless.

M

MacHeadCase

I dunno if this would work... How about dragging to the trash your Finder pref file? The path is this:

Macintosh HD ---> Users ---> Your Home directory ---> Library ---> Preferences ---> com.apple.finder.plist

See if this would work and let us know how this goes.

M

MacHeadCase

I stumbled upon this Wikibooks entry, Mac OS X Tiger/Appendix A. You might find some keyboard shortcuts interesting in that list. Namely:

Hide Current Application - "Command-H"
Hide All Other Applications - "Command-Shift-H"
Minimize All Windows in Current Application to Dock - "Command-Option-M"
Bring Next Window in Current Application to Front - "Command-`"
Bring Previous Window in Current Application to Front - "Command-Shift-`"

Maybe a combination of those, along with the Command (or Apple key) + Tab keys to switch apps... I dunno.

Also not a direct answer to your problem but nonetheless interesting I find is Peter Maurer's Witch.

Maybe somebody else has a better idea of what to do here though.

OP
MonteGss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again...

I tried deleting the Finder preference file....no luck. Thanks again for trying to help me out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.