squeaking/whining??

Reaction score
Hello, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forums, but as I'm not completely computer savvy I wasn't sure what the actual problem I have is linked to.

Actually, there are two things I was hoping people might be able to shed some light on to:

1) I have an iBook G4 which I bought used about a year ago. I have never had a problem with it until this winter. It has begun to freeze randomly, about once every other day, usually when I have a browser open. The mouse doesn't work, keys don't work, nothing, and I have to turn it on and off again to get it to work again.

2) I just noticed this tonight... when scrolling through a window, I heard a high pitched, very very faint squeaking/whining noises coming from the computer. I could only hear it well with my ear near the keyboard. It seems to come from inside. It is not just scrolling, anything where the computer needs to think. Going from window to window, or program to program, really anything at all. I have never noticed this before and I think I would have if it wasn't a new thing. Maybe it's nothing to worry about but I'd like to be sure..

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm not sure if it's a hardware/software problem. Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
welcome to the forum narcolie, this is the proper location for your thread

that locking up might be attributed to a recall they had on the ibooks, check it out here: http://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/ibook.html

'squeaking' noise is probably just your processor working...nothing else will really squeak except for a fan, but a fan will squeak when it is spinning.
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.