from pc to mac......

R

rmorgan

well after 6 years of solid pc use and support, a month or so ago i finally got me a g4 ti powerbook. after going from 10.1 to 10.3 its been blindingly stable.

im completely converted but in all honesty i am struggling to get to grips with the maintenance side of things. i have no idea how to remove apps fully, (bar deleting the exe) i have no idea how to control virtual memory, and other such things.

being a slightly older powerbook (550 mhz) im looking to try and make things a bit more efficient, any ideas on making this so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
rmorgan: First of all, congratulations on making the switch. :D

You can delete things you never use. For example, if you don't ever use Classic mode, you could delete the folder. To delete something, just click on the application (or folder, etc) that you wish to delete, and drop it into the trash. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
As to add to what Beatles4Life has said. Go to your OS X -> Users -> your user name folder -> Library -> Preferences folder. In that folder trash any file that has the name of the application in it.

OP
C

Chamorro

rmorgan said:
well after 6 years of solid pc use and support, a month or so ago i finally got me a g4 ti powerbook. after going from 10.1 to 10.3 its been blindingly stable.
i have no idea how to control virtual memory, and other such things.

being a slightly older powerbook (550 mhz) im looking to try and make things a bit more efficient, any ideas on making this so?

Congrats!

No need to control VM or RAM allocations....the OS handles that all in the background. I'd recommend getting more RAM or a larger HD for more efficiency :D Then again...I'm always recommending that anyway.

OP
R

rmorgan

cheers people. yeah more ram is a must, my pc has a gig, this powerbook has 256 :( still, when money is available more will be added.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
You faced the same questions I did when using a Mac for the first time. Oddly, most Mac software doesn't require an uninstaller. You simply delete the program from the Applications menu and it's gone. Technically speaking. all of the little files that make up the app, are inside of the "icon" in what is apparently called a "bundle". When you click on a program to run it, you're actually clicking on a folder, which then launches the program. Thus, deleting the program, is actually deleting an entire folder. This makes program management extremely easy. It's a nice change from the Windows world.

The only time that you need worry about "uninstalling" an application is with big apps like MS Office, and only if they appear to have an uninstaller.

As for virtual memory, don't sweat it. The OS handles it.

- Osiris

rmorgan said:

im completely converted but in all honesty i am struggling to get to grips with the maintenance side of things. i have no idea how to remove apps fully, (bar deleting the exe) i have no idea how to control virtual memory, and other such things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Also be sure to run crons and repair permissions regularly and after all software updates. I have posted how on both.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.