mac os x 10.3.3 PROBLEM ALREADY

M

mtq1000

i just upgraded to 10.3.3 and all the stuff on my desktop has been delted I MEAN EVERYTHING. i had loads of music and vids let alone apps i now have to fund them all over again from different sources. What kind of update deletes whats on ur desktop let alone with out telling u it will first. IM VERY UPSET

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I just did the update and there was nothing changed with my desktop at all.

please watch your language

OP
M

mtq1000

all gone all goneeee

its all gone i have no idea why. :( im gonna have to spend ages to sort this out :'( pain in the posterior so it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
click on the desktop hit Apple+F and try searching for what you are missing

OP
M

mtq1000

no luck with the apple F thing

nothing i had on my desktop is on the system at all. the only thing are the logs and libraries associated with the apps like disk utility. Im really having no luck wih my first forray into the world of macs.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I just updated to 10.3.3 and all is well here.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Were you doing anything on the system while you were installing the update?

Also have you run repair permissions after doing the update?

OP
M

mtq1000

poor ickle me

everything ges wrong on this G5 be it hardware or software, i just want it to work. Ive been struggling with it for about a month now thought i had it sorted till i upgraded. Oh well back to the begining for me. Thanks for trying to help.

OP
M

mtq1000

repair permission

i cant repair because it delted my disk utlity ill have to run it off the disk tomorow. It got rid of everything on the desktop and since i had dragged the actual disk utility app onto the desktop it got deleted along with the rest. It installed automatically so i had iTunes on at the time.

OP
M

mtq1000

Noticed another thing its done Desktop nackard

i cannot move things to the desktop. I am admin yet i do not have the access required to move things to the desktop. I really dont want to reformat this mac but its looking that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try these to things out

File System Check - When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in
/sbin/fsck -y (if it comes up with an error do /sbin/fsck -f)
When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
When finished with that type in reboot and it will restart the computer as normal

Resetting the PRAM: When booting, hold down Command-Shift-P-R and wait for the triple startup chimes.

Reaction score
Just curious, why did you have Disk Util on the desktop? All of the Apple installed apps need to be where they were installed or they wont get updated in a system update. If you really need it on the desktop, use an alias. Some apps can't even find their prefs if you move them from where they were installed.

Better yet drag it to the Dock, or drag a folder of aliases to the dock and right click for a menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
hmm, sounds to me like a very simple solution. Because it sounds like a very simple problem.. or a miss understood action. You could be logged out, a lot of things could be wrong, But it sounds like its a simple one.

arn't I helpful? sigh* sry I cant help you out more.. but before you do things drastic... wait and think.. something somethings razor anyone? :D

OP
S

StarManta

Graphite said:
something somethings razor anyone? :D

Occam's razor. The simplest solution is almost always the correct one. :)

And it sounds like he does need to repair his permissions somehow.

OP
M

mtq1000

all seems well on the mac now after doing stufffffff

i reinstalled mac os but didnt format. It now works. I still cant get access to the desktop in the previous system file. All permissions seem to be ok but that is still not working. Really have no idea what was up with it but it seems to be working ok now. Still gotta rip all those cds again JOY. anyway thanks everyone for trying to help.
Ta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
In the future, store things in other folders, in Mac, IMHO the desktop isn't the best place to store anything but the Mac hard drive icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I don't understand why all of your stuff was stored on the desktop to begin with? There are folders for music and such, built into the OS, in your home folder.

At any rate, sorry to hear about your loss. I upgraded to 10.3.3 with no problems. I did have a few things on my desktop, but none of it was touched during the upgrade.

- Osiris

mtq1000 said:
i just upgraded to 10.3.3 and all the stuff on my desktop has been delted I MEAN EVERYTHING. i had loads of music and vids let alone apps i now have to fund them all over again from different sources. What kind of update deletes whats on ur desktop let alone with out telling u it will first. IM VERY UPSET

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.