Little spinning color wheel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24,2.33Ghz IntelCore2Duo,3GB RAM,750GB HardDrive,7600GT 256MB SDRAM Graphics,Final Cut Express
Brand new switcher here and have had my new iMac 6 days now. Something went wrong today and my screen just went black. After screaming a bit I got it to work, BUT now I have this tiny little spinning color wheel that replaces my mouse arrow whenever I move it over the desktop. Duh. I have done "Restart", "Sleep", and "Shutdown" but it's still there!! How do I get rid of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
try going up to the menu bar and clicking the apple and then do a force quit. see if that helps

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the color wheel, or beachball as some like to call it is like the windows hourglass. it just means that something is going on in the background and locking you out of any interactivity, or that a program is non-responsive.

if you can get to your apple menu on the menu bar, select force quit from that and see if anyting is non-responsive. you can then force quit those applications. if nothing says non-responsive, just start quitting applications you think might be a problem. if all else fails, you can hold the power button to force a shutdown. and then cross your fingers at start up.

if you can get any more specific information about what might be causing the problem, let us know so we can offer more assitance.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24,2.33Ghz IntelCore2Duo,3GB RAM,750GB HardDrive,7600GT 256MB SDRAM Graphics,Final Cut Express
Eric, IT WORKED!! Thank you so much. (I added to your rep!)

Carleen

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
no problem! glad to help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.