Macbook backlight doesnt work

Reaction score
I bought a macbook (13") around 6 months back. Two days back accidentally, the water bottle in my bag spilled some water and some of it made its way into the macbook. I can't really tell how much of it was there - not very significant.

When I started the macbook - the backlight didn't work. Everything else does - I could back up all my data etc. Its still boots up and works fine -just cant see anything (you'll have to look really hard at an angle).

I took it to the Apple store - they quoted 750$ for a logic board change - It was their suspicion that its a logic board issue. Can someone help me or give me pointers on where I can get it serviced for cheaper?

Btw, Apple doesn't cover accidental damage like this.

Reaction score
Try right clicking your desktop so a little panel comes up and see what it says there. You should be able to find something ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you like your warranty, then you can't do it. The only places you can get it done without voiding the warranty is by a certified Apple tech.

OP
M
Reaction score
If you like your warranty, then you can't do it. The only places you can get it done without voiding the warranty is by a certified Apple tech.

I dont care about my warranty right now , coz anyways I'm going to shell out at least 700$!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Either way, I'm not sure of many people besides certified apple techs that will even touch apple products.

OP
M
Reaction score
Either way, I'm not sure of many people besides certified apple techs that will even touch apple products.

Apple guys asked me to contact Tech Restore as they may be cheaper. As it turns out, they are more expensive. I came across a bunch of websites which do service Macbooks, none of them cheaper than the 750$ Apple quoted. My dilemma is that I am not sure if the Apple techie was sure about this being a logic board issue. If it just the screen replacement - I could get it done in < 400$ or even less if I look harder. I am in quite a fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd think it wasn't the logic board since everything works other than the screen. But they really can't be sure, until after they open it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Mac techs ALWAYS say it's a logic board issue... the thing could be on fire and about to go super-nova and they'd say that.

More likely, your LCD backlight has shorted - I'd take it to an independent computer repairs shop and ask them to look at it. The $750 you have been quoted is Apple's standard 'fix anything' quote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig
It's not the logic board. I have the same problem...except mine just stopped working...the backlight I mean.

I got on Apple's site and the ONLY way to fix the backlight is to replace the entire screen...which is about $700+ which is RIDICULOUS. I would rather just buy a new iBook personally.

HOWEVER, if you look on ebay, you can find broken iBooks and buy it and use the screen...I just havent found one that is the same size as mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Unless you're really good with this sort of thing or know somebody who is, I would actually consider going the other route.
According to the Apple certified techs at my company Macbook display fixes are the worst. You might even get your hands on a new logic board, install it and still not have a working backlight...

I'd sell the Macbook on eBay, making sure you describe the problem accurately. You'll probably get $600 for it at least and if you pick up a macbook on apple's refurb site you can get a new one for around $900...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So a few months back, the backlight on my iBook G4 went out. It is only about a year and a half old, and not having the Apple care, and not being able to spend $700+ on a new screen (i would rather just put that towards a MacBookPro anyhow!)....I went by an Apple Dealer in Birmingham (my g/f got a macbook pro :( ) and told him about my backlight. He said he had this happen before too and told me to bring it in and he would try something.....SO I did and he FIXED IT!! All he did was type in codes and I got him to write it down so I could post it here.

1. Turn iBook OFF.

2. Hold Apple-Option-O-F

3. After 15-30 seconds, Release Keys

4. TYPE:

RESET-NVRAM
SET-DEFAULTS
RESET-ALL

(each followed by "return", which means press 'return')

This should work, it did for mine! I was so excited...now I can see everything as clearly as I had before...I didnt realize what a difference that makes!

Please let me know if this helped anyone out!

OP
M
Reaction score
So when you switch the iBook on and hold the Apple-Option-O-F - my macbook just starts normally

Where do i type the instructions you mention?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you have to make sure its turned OFF

Reaction score
Backlight on macbook doesn't light up

I own a late 2007 white 13" macbook. In year 2, my backlight didn't light up unless the screen was at a 45 degree angle. When it was still under the extended warranty an Apple tech person changed the logic board. It worked for about 90 days and it started with the same problem all over again. I zapped the PRAM, but that only keeps it working for a short time. If I never close the lid, it seems to work so it must be something that occurs with sleep mode or energy saving mode. I also have flickering issues before it going into a sleep mode. Very irritating. It recently failed a surface scan so I'm going to replace the HD this week. However, I think it must be something to do with the contacts between the LCD screen and computer base. However, it isn't a logic board. That I know so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.