Help connecting an Airport Extreme to a DSL Modem

J

jazzjungle

Help connecting an Airport Extreme Base Station to a DSL Modem

Hi Everyone! I need help connecting my DSL modem to my newly acquired Airport Extreme Base Station. My main system is (temporarily) a Windows XP desktop as my new Power Book is at the Apple Store being upgraded. Can anyone help me with which cables go in, which go out etc., as I am having a problem understanding the directions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
index_ports01132003.jpg

Thats the only photo I could find of the connections for airport extreme but I should be able to explain from it

the WAN port is where you plug your DSL modem into
The LAN port is where you can plug the Router into a mac or PC for it to get its connection.
If you are using a regular modem you plug it into the modem jack and you can connect a USB printer into the USB jack

hope this helps a bit

OP
J

jazzjungle

Which line from DSL to AirPort Base Station

trpnmonkey41 said:
index_ports01132003.jpg

Thats the only photo I could find of the connections for airport extreme but I should be able to explain from it

the WAN port is where you plug your DSL modem into
The LAN port is where you can plug the Router into a mac or PC for it to get its connection.
If you are using a regular modem you plug it into the modem jack and you can connect a USB printer into the USB jack

hope this helps a bit

Thank you that helps a bit, but I am confused as to which line from the DSL modem goes into the WAN Port on the Base Station. The modem I have actually has LAN, LINE, & SWAPPER connections on it. Right now the PC goes into the LAN and the LINE goes to the phone jack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The LAN on your dsl modem goes into the WAN on the router

OP
B

Bluewolf

I am about to do something similar and this was very helpful for me on where to plug what in and where, but there is still one thing I dont know about.

What is a 'Router'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A router splits your DSL/Cable Connection so that you can send the signal to all the other computers.
The airport basestation isnt really a router since there is only one output plug on it for the computer......Most commonly you will see a router that has 4/8/16 ports on it with computers plugged into

OP
B

Bluewolf

trpnmonkey41 said:
A router splits your DSL/Cable Connection so that you can send the signal to all the other computers.
The airport basestation isnt really a router since there is only one output plug on it for the computer......Most commonly you will see a router that has 4/8/16 ports on it with computers plugged into

I am guessing its classified as a router because of instead of having output plugs it simply emits the output.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.