Using the X11 server

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

i installed the X11 server on MAC OS 10.3.9 but when i dpouble click on the icon of X it does nothing.

i read the FAQ of the site X.org and i did all the command listed there but i didnt find the problemthe error that figures in the terminal is :

Code:
Karl-Facredyns-Computer:~ toto$ startx

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
_XSERVTransSocketINETCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running
   OsVendorFatalError
   AbortDDX
Quitting XDarwin...
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
Karl-Facredyns-Computer:~ toto$ xeyes
Error: Can't open display:
Karl-Facredyns-Computer:~ toto$ free
-bash: free: command not found
Karl-Facredyns-Computer:~ toto$ df
Filesystem              512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s3              77903136 48985360 28405776    63%    /
devfs                          186      186        0   100%    /dev
fdesc                            2        2        0   100%    /dev
<volfs>                       1024     1024        0   100%    /.vol
automount -nsl [283]             0        0        0   100%    /Network
automount -fstab [294]           0        0        0   100%    /automount/Servers
automount -static [294]          0        0        0   100%    /automount/static
/dev/disk1                  509976   456148    53828    89%    /Volumes/HASSOUN
/dev/disk2s3                228952   125720   103232    55%    /Volumes/X11 Update 2006
/dev/disk3s2                 21568    19752     1816    92%    /Volumes/X11 Extension
If somebody has an idea, hints it would be great.

Thank you for your help and have a nice day.

thx

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
What is it you are trying to do? If I remember correctly, the xstart application will start a windowing environment like Apples Aqua. xeyes is the little application that places a set of eyes on the screen.

I believe you want to run the X11 application.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Go to the OS X software download pages at the apple site and download gimpshop, that uses X11 and will show you if it is working correctly.

If you want to use the X server from a terminal window you need to set the DISPLAY environment variable.

i.e
export DISPLAY=<hostname>:0.0
xeyes

Your hostname appears to be "Karl-Facredyns-Computer".

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The X.org site won't necessarily help you a great deal with Apple's X11 implementation, because the one for OS X is wrapped in a Bundle and so doesn't follow the normal rules. To start it, you should go into Applications -> Utilities and double click the X11 icon. You should then either set the DISPLAY variable (usually just setting it to :0.0 is enough, you don't need the hostname for local servers) or right click on the X11 icon in the Dock and select Applications->Xterm for an X specific terminal.

OP
S
Reaction score
X11 server Problem

The X.org site won't necessarily help you a great deal with Apple's X11 implementation, because the one for OS X is wrapped in a Bundle and so doesn't follow the normal rules. To start it, you should go into Applications -> Utilities and double click the X11 icon. You should then either set the DISPLAY variable (usually just setting it to :0.0 is enough, you don't need the hostname for local servers) or right click on the X11 icon in the Dock and select Applications->Xterm for an X specific terminal.

i set the display environement but its gives me the same error, i tried to insall GimpShop but it didnt work due to X11 non funtionality.as i dont have the cd installation for mac that contain the X11 server i downloaded the it froml the mac site:

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11formacosx.html

so i dont know wats the problem because when i double click on X11 in the application-> utilities it gives me nothing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.