Backup Software Recomendations

Reaction score
Hi to everyone,
I have just brought a External Drive for my iMac and was wondering what was the best software to use to backup everything on my iMac (iTunes, iMovies, etc...) I have Backup 2 from when i had a .mac account.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Ditto on that recommendation. SuperDuper makes a carbon-copy of your hard disk which is also bootable. In the event you lose your hard disk, you can even boot from your external drive to get up and running quickly. It's fast, user-friendly and the full version is pretty reasonable at $30 (of course the free version does what most of the average user needs). You can even set SuperDuper to work with so-called "one touch" features on external hard drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB iPhone, 17" iMac, 13" MacBook & 17" MacBook Pro
would SuperDuper work if I just want to back up my music, photos, movies and documents?

I'm fairly new to backing up to an XHD. I just got a Maxton 80GB XHD and want to backup my iTunes, iPhoto, movies and documents folders. would it be better to use SuperDuper to do all this or can I just copy the folders I want to back up and paste the folder into/onto the XHD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I don't think any special purpose software is needed. I have always done backups the "cheap and cheerful" way. It is even easier with Macs than it was on my PC.

I get an external hard drive. To back up, I plug it in, turn it on and then create a new folder in its root called todays_date_backup. Then I simply use Finder (or PathFinder in my case) to drag my home folder into my newly created backup folder. This copies ALL of my personal data. It does not create a full blown image of my current disk, but I tend to view the system setup as transient. It is my personal stuff (music, photos, files, etc.) that I want to keep.

To make this really useful, I use a system of two hard drives, which I rotate between work and home. Each time I do a backup, I take the hard drive with the fresh backup to work and exchange it with the one there. That way, I always have two full backups at two different locations. Hence, even if some terrible disaster should befall my house (tornado, flood, fire, whatever), I still have a full backup "off site".

Note that no incremental backup software is involved or needed. Hard drives are so big and so fast these days that this works great and it is so simple. It has always been my philosophy that in order to be done regularly, backing up must be easy. Apple clearly agrees with me - I think that this is the whole premise behind Time Machine (... a FAR more elegant solution than what I do of course!).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
would SuperDuper work if I just want to back up my music, photos, movies and documents?

I'm fairly new to backing up to an XHD. I just got a Maxton 80GB XHD and want to backup my iTunes, iPhoto, movies and documents folders. would it be better to use SuperDuper to do all this or can I just copy the folders I want to back up and paste the folder into/onto the XHD.

SuperDuper is geared towards backing up an entire drive. I'm sure there's another solution out there for doing more specific backups.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Another recommendation for SuperDuper.

It's nice to know you could work off your external drive for a while in a pinch if your internal failed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.