Can I put a password on certain folders?

Reaction score
I want my school folders to ask for a password when I open them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Moving thread. Not a hardware issue.

Reaction score
I want my school folders to ask for a password when I open them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

G'day kilo15.

This can be achieved with or without 3rd party apps. If you want to go with what's already on your Mac, then Disc Utility is worth a look.

Open up the "Disc Utility" application

File>New>Disk Image from Folder...

Choose a folder to protect, then choose "AES-128" encryption and press Save.

Enter your newly created password twice.

What this process actually does is creates a disk image file (.dmg). The disk image contains the entire contents of the folder, but only you can open it with your password.

To access your school folder, just double-click the .dmg file in Finder. Then in the text box that appears enter your password and the dmg will be mounted as an image and you can see the contents of your school folder.

If you want to give a 3rd Party app a go, then you could try eyeHide (click link)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
;)
Open up the "Disk Utility" application
File>New>Disk Image from Folder...
Choose a folder to protect, then choose "AES-128" encryption and press Save.
Enter your newly created password twice.

Excellent info Pulse-8 - I'm glad to know this myself. :)

Reaction score
lol...it's too much for my brain, this disC/K business....

Macs have a blahzillion little jobs that they can do ... but I just only wan't to do a little of what my Mac is truely capable of....like password protecting a folder...I can see the benefits, but I just don't need to do it ... I must only use like 10% of this amazing machines capabilities!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nice Pulse-8!
thread subscribed! might even dump this in the switcher f.a.q. under advanced stuff.

still can't give you rep - i'll have to try later!

Reaction score
What this process actually does is creates a disk image file (.dmg). The disk image contains the entire contents of the folder, but only you can open it with your password.

repified

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Using a password-protected disk is like leaving your front door unlocked because you have a jewelry safe. You might protect a few things, but anyone who wants to can still cause a lot of trouble for you.

The correct way to protect your stuff is to Log out of your account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" macbook pro, 4gb ram
to protect your whole system yes, but a lot of people just want one folder protecting . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
The correct way to protect your stuff is to Log out of your account.

to protect your whole system yes, but a lot of people just want one folder protecting . .

Yes, but logging out isn't foolproof either. If you are really concerned with sensitive data, then you should use file vault (security under system prefs) to protect your entire user folder, or the encrypted disk image method suggested before.

Logging out or locking your screen is always a good idea, however if someone really wanted access to your data, they could simply boot your computer off the installer DVD (or into single-user mode) and open up your home folder.

OP
K
Reaction score
I just tried it and it worked wonderful. At first it didn't ask for the password but I then realized that the password was on the keychain. I only need the encryption for my friends and family. I let them use my mac for curiosity. I just don't want to loose my school notes because of my generosity. I am not worried about being hacked or anything. I don't have trade secrets on this machine anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
EVERYTHING THAT I DO IS A TRADE SECRET :robot:.

Just kidding. When dealing with other people using my machine I've always tried to go by the book as I feel the OS was meant to work. Therefore I am an adamant user of fast user switching and/or logging out. :bone:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
me too. but if i keep my password from my wife... there'll be trouble, and that starts with T, and yadda yadda yadda...

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
OT: I hunt frittering River City youth for sport, so be warned eric.

M

MacHeadCase

I just tried it and it worked wonderful. At first it didn't ask for the password but I then realized that the password was on the keychain. I only need the encryption for my friends and family. I let them use my mac for curiosity. I just don't want to loose my school notes because of my generosity. I am not worried about being hacked or anything. I don't have trade secrets on this machine anyway.

Glad it helped. :girl:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.