PC Networking

Reaction score
What's the best way to network a brand new macbook into a group of PCs of about 4 other PCs that already have a network established amongst themselves. I need to use the internet and look in a couple folders that are on the network. Everything seems to be linked together via router and there's a DSL modem. There's an ethernet cable just itching to be used at my desk, but my mac doesn't recognize it for anything. Thanks!

--Tim

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Assuming they are all networked through the router, then turning on file sharing would be a good start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
There's an ethernet cable just itching to be used at my desk, but my mac doesn't recognize it for anything.

...and you've enabled the Ethernet connection in the Network System Pref?

Also, after you bring up the Network System Preference panel, make sure that Network Status is selected on the "Show" drop-down. You should see a coloured dot next to Built-in Ethernet. If it's green, you're good to go. If it's red, then the network cable is not live (plugged into the wrong jack on your router?). If it's orange, then your network connection is good, but your Mac is not getting an IP address.

I often get the orange status 'light' when I plug my Macbook Pro into my switch here at the office. I can get it to go green by simply disabling and re-enabling the connection. The easiest way to do that is to go back to the Show drop-down and select Network Port Configurations. Uncheck the box for Built-in Ethernet and click Apply Now. Wait a few seconds, recheck the same box and click Apply Now again. Now go back to the Network Status option, cross your fingers, and see if the status light for Built-in Ethernet turns green.

Now then, once your connection is up, seeing your shared folders from your PCs is as simple as selecting Network from a finder window. After a moment you should see your workgroup appear. Select that and you'll see the names of the PCs that have sharing enabled. Select one of those, then connect, type your login info (if needed) and select the shared volume. That volume will then appear as another mount on the left pane of the finder window.

Connecting to printers is equally easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.