worth upgrading?

Reaction score
I have a iMac DV with OS 9.2. It has 192 mb of RAM and a 20gb hd, but the dvd-rom has been broken and will cost atleast $80 to fix. Is it worth fixing and then upgrading to a newer OS?

Reaction score
$80 sounds a bit high for an optical drive. If you can't find one for cheaper, I would suggest just looking for a whole new iMac.

Reaction score
G'day butterflyblue & welcome to Mac-Forums.

Your 20Mb Hard Drive would need upgrading too, as Operating Systems do increase in the size they occupy on a Hard Drive and there wouldn't be that much left over in your case. The same with the 192Mb of RAM... so add to that a broken DVD-Rom Drive and mynameis' advice is looking like a fair call.

OP
B
Reaction score
yeah, I was thinking the same thing on all accounts. I'll probably just sell it as a "internet only" machine for whatever someone is willing to give me. I'll try the college where I attend. I'm sure someone is looking for a cheap computer just for internet surfing and printing. Most printer drivers can be downloaded so using the CD wouldn't even be an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.