Buy now or wait for 10.5

Reaction score
I'm looking to switch from Windows to a MacBookPro. I was in the store yesterday asking questions about whether to buy now or wait until the new OS is out. Any suggestions? Do I buy now and upgrade or should I just wait the few months. With Windows I would have to wait 6-9 months after release. Are there any of these same "bug" issues with OS X? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

:bushman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
Welcome Redleg91! I am a recent switcher. I have had my MBP for about 2 weeks. I love it! If I was in your position, I would buy it now. From what I understand, Apple OS upgrades don't cost the dough that Windows upgrades do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I'm looking to switch from Windows to a MacBookPro. I was in the store yesterday asking questions about whether to buy now or wait until the new OS is out. Any suggestions? Do I buy now and upgrade or should I just wait the few months. With Windows I would have to wait 6-9 months after release. Are there any of these same "bug" issues with OS X? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

:bushman:

there is a good chance the leopard upgrade will be around $130.. in my opinion mac os upgrades are cheap and there is no reason to wait.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
When it comes to technology, if you wait for whatever is coming on the horizon, you'll be waiting forever. There are always new technologies, both hardware and software, waiting right around the bend.

Is there a particular feature in Leopard that directly effect your reason for wanting to switch? If not, then there's no need to wait. Keep in mind that it usually takes a few months to shake out some of the bugs in a new OS version. So, if you choose to wait, it could be some time before you'll have a good, stable Mac.

With that said, I say buy it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
I was told by a fellow mac user at my school that when 10.4 came out that everyone who had purchased a mac up to 3 months before it's release were able to get a free update from 10.3 to 10.4.
I am not sure if this is true, but if it is that would be pretty sweet and solve your problems.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your feedback! I'll probably go ahead and purchase now and upgrade in the Fall after the bugs have been worked out. And it would be sweet to get a free upgrade. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.