Speaker icon at top right gone?

Reaction score
Hi, I just upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.4.6. Before there was a speaker icon in the top right next to the date/time while browsing (Firefox 2) . It is now gone. Now, it DOES show up if I bring the finder to the front. I simply cannot figure out if there is a way to fix this. It is also the same thing when using iTunes. The volume icon only shows up if I have the finder menu up. It is kind of a pain when you want to quickly adjust the master volume (watching a video or listening to a song) when you have to minimize windows just to do it. Now, I don't have the imac keyboard so I don't have the volume control on my keyboard (at least I don't believe so). Am I totally missing something here? Any help would be great. It is just one of those little things that really annoy! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hi, I just upgraded from 10.2.8 to 10.4.6. Before there was a speaker icon in the top right next to the date/time while browsing (Firefox 2) . It is now gone. Now, it DOES show up if I bring the finder to the front. I simply cannot figure out if there is a way to fix this. It is also the same thing when using iTunes. The volume icon only shows up if I have the finder menu up. It is kind of a pain when you want to quickly adjust the master volume (watching a video or listening to a song) when you have to minimize windows just to do it. Now, I don't have the imac keyboard so I don't have the volume control on my keyboard (at least I don't believe so). Am I totally missing something here? Any help would be great. It is just one of those little things that really annoy! Thanks!

Is a really large portion of your top bar taken up by icons and menu options? If your speaker icon is too far to the left, it could be that it's just getting overlapped by your other apps' menu options and therefore not being shown. Try command click-and-dragging the speaker icon more to the right and see if that solves your problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is a really large portion of your top bar taken up by icons and menu options? If your speaker icon is too far to the left, it could be that it's just getting overlapped by your other apps' menu options and therefore not being shown. Try command click-and-dragging the speaker icon more to the right and see if that solves your problem.

EDIT: Deleted accidental reply to wrong thread. My apologies.

OP
K
Reaction score

Worked like a charm! I just dragged it to the right of the ichat icon and now it appears! Thanks so much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.