Newbie to MAC.. I got it today did the system update and.....

Reaction score
OK I am newbie to Mac and got myself a new Macbook with happiness till this....

I got it up set it up and was great. Did the apple update and dont know why the screen went all funny. The colour was like only display about 4 colours.. I do see the display like the lancher etc but it like the colour setting been set to display 4 colours and it not display in millions. I have check the Setting and it is set at millions but it not display correct. If i set it to 256 it does display alot better and prob does what it should for 256 but the million setting is display about 4 colours. What gone wrong... before i did the apple update all was great

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes restart and all still funny am mad though Apple were meant to beat the windows......

A simple update mess up something for sure... I just cant get the screen setting back to normal.

Strange thing is when it boots up and while it booting it ok but once it booted the screen go back to 4 colour format know what imean the images are there ubt display is VERY VERY LESS colour...

OP
R
Reaction score
On window XP there is a option to restore to last best working point is there a option on OS X?

Reaction score
Restart the machine and hold down the Apple key and the S key until text flows down the screen. Where the cursor is at the bottom, type fsck -fy, including the space, and hit the return key. This runs the Mac's built-in Disk Utility that might find and repair a system problem.

After it finishes, type exit or reboot, and hit return. The machine will reboot normally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Given your description, it seems this is a user-specific problem and not a system-wide one, so you shouldn't need to do something nearly so intimidating as the last suggestion if I'm correct on this. I would delete the folder ~/Library/Preferences and then restart the computer.

That will reset your personal preferences to the default for all apps and stuff, including OS X. Hopefully this will get your screen settings back to where they should be.

Note: Clicking "Go" in the Finder menu bar and clicking "Go to folder," then typing in ~/Library/ should take you to the folder the Preferences folder is inside. Alternatively, you can navigate with the Finder windows by clicking on Home, going inside the Library folder, and looking for the Preferences folder inside there to delete. Try this and tell us if it works.

That said, after every system update you should spotlight "Disk Utility" and run "Repair Permissions" on your hard drive, as a precaution.

Reaction score
Given your description, it seems this is a user-specific problem and not a system-wide one, so you shouldn't need to do something nearly so intimidating as the last suggestion if I'm correct on this. I would delete the folder ~/Library/Preferences and then restart the computer.

That will reset your personal preferences to the default for all apps and stuff, including OS X. Hopefully this will get your screen settings back to where they should be.

Note: Clicking "Go" in the Finder menu bar and clicking "Go to folder," then typing in ~/Library/ should take you to the folder the Preferences folder is inside. Alternatively, you can navigate with the Finder windows by clicking on Home, going inside the Library folder, and looking for the Preferences folder inside there to delete. Try this and tell us if it works.

That said, after every system update you should spotlight "Disk Utility" and run "Repair Permissions" on your hard drive, as a precaution.

I had the same thing happen to me after the latest firmware update. I think it was after the first time I booted into Windows and then restarted. It seemed like a bit was stuck on the graphics card or something. Nothing would fix it and it was consistent between Mac OS and Windows, I did the 4 finger salute at boot up to reset PRAM and everything cleared back up for me.

Here's a link to how to do it from Apple:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.