Remote Desktop - Mac to XP Pro Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I got my router set up between my Intel Mac and my XP Pro. They both have internet access. I want to be able to use my Apple Remote Desktop to observe and control the XP. However, its listed under local network and I enter the username and password for the XP but after a while it says it can't connect.

Now I installed RD from Windows on the mac and I can connect to the XP using that but it logs the XP out on the PC and its not as cool as ARD is.

I know you can control XP using ARD as it says on the Apple site.
"Thanks to screen sharing, you can observe one, 10, even 50 screens in action simultaneously, allowing you to closely monitor your network. And that’s your entire network — not just Macs — you can also view and control the screens of any Virtual Network Computing (VNC)-enabled computer, including Windows, Linux, and UNIX. When a user needs assistance, you take control of any individual screen and view the remote desktop in full-screen mode."

I installed RealVNC on my PC. But it needs a server to connect to right when I open it.

I am a bit confused on how to get this working....help please?

Thank you!

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
Bump -- sorry. But anyone know how to or what might work ? :)

Reaction score
Hi All.
I´m from Argentina and my english it´s not so good, so, be patience please.
I ´ve exactly the same problem as Beemer, and the same programs installed, Real VNC on Xp and ARD 3 on my MacBook and i want to connect from my work to the PC (home).
I did a No-ip host name to the server Ip and i´d running a program that automatically update the dynamic ip to the host.
However i can´t connect to the pc through ARD 3 but i can using Remote Desktop Connection by Microsoft.

Beemer if you know the solutions please contact me.

Thanks All.
See Ya!
Ankh.

Reaction score
Beemer...You need the PC to be a VNC server. Sound like you running the VNC client on it.

Your VNC software may have a server component, I don't know. But I do know that UltraVNC installs the client and server as part of the typical install.

If you choose UltraVNC, just accept all the defaults during the install except during the Additional Tasks window, click on install desktop icons. When done open the UltraVNC server from your desktop. The first time it'll open the settings window. Change the password.

You should be good to go if your network is setup properly. You'll be able to remote control the XP machine using ARP, or a VNC client on your Mac.

If your using UltraVNC server on the XP you'll evenbe able to remote the machine by using any modern browser. Suppose your XP IP address is 10.1.1.2, just enter http://10.1.1.2:5800 into your browser of choice. And if you want UltraVNC to always be waiting for remote connections even after a restart you can set it up a service.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I´ve running UltraVNC and RealVNC both as Server on the PC but nothing happens.
I´d try Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection from the Mac and i connect perfectly to the PC.
But i want to use Apple Remote Desktop 3.

Thanks Again.
Ankh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You should use MS's RDC. It's probably got 4x the performance of ARD/VNC. But you cannot xfer files with it.

If you're really so stuck on using ARD/VNC, then install TightVNC on the PC. It's the fastest version I've dealt with - and it actually works too.
Turn the other VNC servers off, they might be fighting over the same port.

Reaction score
Thanks giulio.
I´ll try TightVNC, because i want to use ARD.
MS RDC disconnect the local user while you are connected and it´s not allow you to observe.

Thanks All.
Ankh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yes that's true, RDC boots off the physical user when a virtual user logs on. It's a tradeoff. It's not "desktop sharing", it's "remote desktop".
VNC is screen/mouse/keyboard sharing, but it has much lower performance.

Any luck, BTW?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.