Running 2 Mac OSs on the Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I have Tiger on my computer right now. I want to create a partition that will run another version of Mac OS. How do I do this? I tried making a partition through Boot Camp but when I tried to install, the partition didn't show up. Any solutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Just letting you know, the MacBook Pros will only run Tiger (10.4), so if you're trying to install an earlier version it's not going to work.

Boot Camp creates a partition that is either FAT32 or blank space (I can't remember). You'll have to go into Disk Utility (apps/utilities) and select the partition and Erase/Format it to Mac OS Extended Journaled.

Then it should show up in the Install pane.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'll go ahead and try that and post back if i have further questions.

OP
B
Reaction score
OK well I opened Disk Utility and the new partition is greyed out. I didn't see a Format but I saw an erase. However I couldn't erase because it says it wasn't mounted. When I clicked mount nothing happened, as in, it didn't mount

Here is the information for the partition

Name : disk0s3
Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk0s3
Mount Point : Not mounted
Connection Bus : Serial ATA 2
Partition Type : Microsoft Basic Data
Device Tree : /PCI0@0/SATA@1F,2/PRT2@2/PMP@0/@0:3
Writable : Yes
Capacity : 20.7 GB (22,258,958,336 Bytes)
Owners Enabled : No
Can Turn Owners Off : No
Can Be Formatted : No
Bootable : No
Supports Journaling : No
Journaled : No
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 3

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry for all the posts, I don't know how to delete my previous posts. I don't know how to format the partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM
Other versions of Mac OS are for PowerPC only and they will not run on Intel Macs, and your Macbook Pro certainly has an Intel processor. Even if you get a partition set up and start the installation, it will just tell you that the software can't run on your computer.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm trying to put on the Beta of Leopard that i received at the WWDC 2006. So it should work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Just letting you know, the MacBook Pros will only run Tiger (10.4), so if you're trying to install an earlier version it's not going to work.

Arent all of the OSX versions intel compatible? I remember Steve Jobs talking about that in a keynote when they first announced the switch to intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Arent all of the OSX versions intel compatible? I remember Steve Jobs talking about that in a keynote when they first announced the switch to intel.

No, the ones that come with the Intel Macs are 'Intel Only' while Leopard will be 'Universal'.

As for this particular problem, you probably need to either format the drive entirely by using Disk Utility from within the installer of whichever you install first, or using a 3rd party partition shrinker to reduce your Tiger installation.

OP
B
Reaction score
No, the ones that come with the Intel Macs are 'Intel Only' while Leopard will be 'Universal'.

As for this particular problem, you probably need to either format the drive entirely by using Disk Utility from within the installer of whichever you install first, or using a 3rd party partition shrinker to reduce your Tiger installation.

I don't understand what you mean. I had tried to use Disk Utility to format it but would not let me. I could not do anything with it. I could not even mount the drive (apparently I need to in order to erase/format).

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.