switcher has a few questions about osx

Reaction score
I am a recent switcher and I have a couple questions. I got a nice macbook pro and I love it so far, but a couple of questions. 1. How do I share applications between user accounts and or deny them. My wife and I have different user accounts and I want to share our itunes and pictures and stuff, but want her out of my uh, work. 2. The postage stamp icon in the corner only wants to go to a .mac account. Can I change that to go to my hotmail or work account? 3. On my bookmarks in Safari, can I have all the bookmarks appear when I move the mouse over it and then scroll down to it or do I have to show all bookmarks? 4. Is there a way to make a icon pop up with a website or series of sites with one click of it? Is there a book or website with shortcuts? Thanks for anyone who helps with this as I'm sure there are more to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome to the forums!
You will soon be amazed at the amount of info you can obtain here.

*A moderator will soon be here to give you a slight reprimand for cross-posting.. now worries though :)

Not sure about the sharing of applications... (Maybe check in the Application folder, and look for a "shared")

The "postage Stamp" icon is your Mail application... you'll need to set-up your email account in there (your ISP, gmail, hotmail, etc)

Reaction score
When I wanted to share music and stuff between two accounts, I created a folder in the apps folder and gave permissions to all users to it.

Reaction score
Well I don't have a single answer to you quesstions.....but WELCOME

and don't worry about the moderators...they are push overs for new converts!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Ok. I started answering this question last night, and I spent the better part of an hour typing it out and messing with settings and geting exact answers for you. I then hit the "Bookmark Manager" thing and it deleted my post and I quit out of disgust.

1. If you go to System Manager>Accounts, and create a new account, you can control what apps she can and can't use. And for documents and folders, if you right click and select "Get Info" you can go to sharing and security, or whatever it's called, and pick what she can and can't access.

2. The stamp is for Mail. Like RIDE said, you need to set it up to do what you wnat it to do.

3. Inside of Safari, if you click the Book off to the left, you go into the bookmark manager. You can make folders and put your bookmarks in the folders. I think that is what you are talking about. That way instead of being cluttered with individual bookmarks, you have organized catagories on your bookmark row.

4. I just went into the Bookmark Manager, adn dragged a bookmark out to the desktop. It comes up as "website.webloc". Click that puppy, and it takes you right to the site.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks to all

Hey thanks everyone for replying to this post. I guess what they said about mac users wasn't true. Just Kidding. Anyway I do know that the stamp is for setting up an email account, but when i click on it it just says enter your .mac account and password so? As for the others I cant wait to get home and try them out. I will reply as to what happened. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hey thanks everyone for replying to this post. I guess what they said about mac users wasn't true. Just Kidding. Anyway I do know that the stamp is for setting up an email account, but when i click on it it just says enter your .mac account and password so? As for the others I cant wait to get home and try them out. I will reply as to what happened. Thanks again.

Click this link... it will get you going in the Mail app.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mail/2.0/en/ml89.html

Also, while I was home for lunch, I tested the (2) Users using the same Applications.. I set-up the 2nd user as "admin. for this computer"... I then logged into the 2nd user, and clicked Applications... Viola.. they were all there and available.

Then to get to the folders and files, (still logged into 2nd User) I clicked the Hard Drive icon in the finder window (left side of the window above the section that holds the applications icon)... I could see the "Home" (1st User) folder as well as the 2nd User folder.... Clicked "home".. this opened up to all of the folders for the 1st user (Some with "no access" icons on the folders due to permission settings within the 1st User)... Now it's just a matter of going back to the 1st user account... right click a folder, then click "get info" (or select the folder then press Apple+i)... change read/write permissions at the bottom of the Get info window (as was posted above).

Hope that is at least half way coherent... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I made a temporary second user to test some things too. I deleted it, but I still have to log in every time I restart. I didn't have to do this before. And idead how to fix that?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I made a temporary second user to test some things too. I deleted it, but I still have to log in every time I restart. I didn't have to do this before. And idead how to fix that?

System Preferences->Accounts->Login Options

Tick box next to "Automatically login as" and select the user from the drop down menu.

This is configured by default when you receive the machine and is unticked when you add the first extra user.

There are some other options there you may find interesting.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's

Hey!!! A fellow Kansan!

If you only want 1 user.. and do not want/need to require a login password... go into "accounts" then "Login Options"... and enable "Auto. login as <USER>"... I'm not in front of my mac (sadly) so the directions may be a bit off.. but I do know it is in "Accounts"... I'll check later tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome! Even though you weren't in front of your Mac, your directions were still good. Thanks.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Awesome! Even though you weren't in front of your Mac, your directions were still good. Thanks.

Hey, no fair, I got there 2 minutes earlier. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.