MB vs. MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Okay, so I hope to get enough money from graduation in May to give my iBook to my fiance and by a new Mac. The two models I am considering are the 13" White 2.0GHz at $1099 and the 15" 2.16GHz at $1999. What I am wondering is if the MacBook Pro is worth the extra $900. This computer will be used for e-mail/internet, web design, music editing, and misc. grad school work such as my Masters thesis. What is a double-layer superdrive?

Thanks for your insight,
Damien

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so I hope to get enough money from graduation in May to give my iBook to my fiance and by a new Mac. The two models I am considering are the 13" White 2.0GHz at $1099 and the 15" 2.16GHz at $1999. What I am wondering is if the MacBook Pro is worth the extra $900. This computer will be used for e-mail/internet, web design, music editing, and misc. grad school work such as my Masters thesis. What is a double-layer superdrive?

Thanks for your insight,
Damien

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
If you have to ask what a dual-layer superdrive is, then you probably don't need one. (It's a drive that will burn dual-layer DVDs that hold around 8GB, rather than the normal 4.7)

In my opinion, the MBP would be overkill for what you're wanting to use it.

Reaction score
The 2.0GHz C2D MacBook is $1,299, not $1,099 so it's a $700 difference. That $700 gives you:

* marginally faster processor (you'll probably never notice that difference)

* 120G hard drive instead of 80G

* discrete video (ATI X1600) instead of the integrated Intel graphics of the MacBook (you'll only notice the difference if you're playing games or doing 3D-intensive work)

* easier RAM upgrade path (the MBP comes with a single 1G DIMM and one free slot; the MB comes with two 512M DIMMs and no free slots)

* larger, higher resolution screen (1440x900 15.4" widescreen vs. 1280x800 13.3" widescreen) ... also, the MBP is available with both glossy and matte screens while the MB comes only with glossy

* aluminum construction vs. plastic of the MB

* different keyboard (many people prefer the MBP keyboard, including me; best bet is to try them both at the Apple Store to see if the difference matters to you)

* lighted keyboard

* slightly more weight (5.6# vs. 5.2#)

* larger size (14.1 x 9.6 x 1 vs. 12.78 x 8.92 x 1.08)

* reduced battery life (Apple claims up to 5 hours on the MBP, up to 6 hours on the MB)

Both computers come with the same SuperDrive, which is Apple's designation for their slot drive that both reads and writes CD's and DVD's. The MB and the 15" MBP both come with a 6x (speed; higher number is better) SuperDrive.

Hope this helps. Stay safe!

T

todd51

The MBP also supports 800 Firewire if you want that...to me it sounds like you'll be fine with the standard MB unless you want a bigger screen/better vid card/firewire 800/double-layer superdrive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged Cross Posts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP| 2.33 15" |2 Gig|320 GiG 7200 rpm |256 MB X1600
Comfort

Initial Comfort as the MBP is a lot more comfortable as the MB has a sharp edge . One person has said that it was an over reaction on my part but it was enough for me to return my MB and Upgrade to a MBP. He said that it would be less irratating with time as the sharp edges would dull with use and time. I have large hands and perhaps why it was so uncomfortable, but I also have callused hands and it was too annoying for me to continue to use it. If you don't plan on using the touchpad a lot it may not be a concern.
I have to mention though I am 100% happier with my MPB.
As far as performance it is only marginally noticeable but there is definitely noticeable. As previously mentioned your use of the machine may not warrant the upgrade , but I am as happy as a pig in a sty with my MPB.
Stronly suggest that you give them a go before purchasing .

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is one other thing I thought of. I will probably need to be able to connect it to projectors at the university to make presentations. Can I do that with the MacBook or would I need a MacBook Pro? Is the MBP more durable than the MB, since it is made of alluminum instead of plastic?

~Damien

Reaction score
If anything, the MBP is more fragile. It's such a beautiful piece of machinery, you're forced to give it a lot of tender care.

This is my first Mac but perhaps those who have own its predecessors can attest to the durability and have scars to show for it. I would imagine it could stand a drop or two, but it wouldn't look the same afterwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
I find the larger and higher resolution screen alone makes the MBP the better option....even for simple word processing or spreadsheet tasks.
-d

Reaction score
Well, I bought a regular MB a couple weeks ago and returned it on Monday for a MBP. The MBP keyboard is definately more comfortable and tactile. I also think there is a very noticable difference in the screen image quality. I am very happy that went to the MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
* reduced battery life (Apple claims up to 5 hours on the MBP, up to 6 hours on the MB)

There is no way that anyone will get 5 hours battery life out of a MBP, or?

Reaction score
I find the larger and higher resolution screen alone makes the MBP the better option....even for simple word processing or spreadsheet tasks.
-d
For me if I was buying a MacBook this would be the deal maker for me. For me the 13" screen is a little too small and I like stuff small so the higher resolution is better. Really depends if yo have the money to spend. In actuality I think very few people really "need" the MacBookPro but a few do.

I'm still plugging away on my PowerBookG4 with the 15" screen. I love it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There is no way that anyone will get 5 hours battery life out of a MBP, or?

You can get 5 hours if you dim the screen, have no programs running, and have Airport/Bluetooth turned off ;)

I've been able to manage 5 hours on my Macbook with Airport turned off but with several programs running and the screen being one point above completely dim.

As for Thundermoon, I would definitely suggest you check out both the Macbook and the Macbook Pro at your local Apple Store or a retailer that sells Macs. Most importantly, look at the screen size, the difference between glossy and matte screens, and finally, the keyboards.

I personally found the Macbook's keyboard superior to the Pro edition's, which played a major part in my decision to go with the black Macbook. Granted, the smaller size was a major factor as well (much easier to stick in my bag than a 15" MBP would ever be).

Oh yea, nobody answered your presentation question. If your projectors work with VGA or DVI cables, then you'll be able to use both laptops, but you will need to get a mini-DVI adapter first (which is fine, they're pretty cheap). There are three types of adapters, and judging from my experience with projectors, you'll need the mini-DVI to VGA adapter. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 15/2.16/1G/120/128V
Another thing you might want to consider is Apple's Refurb store. I've bought several Mac's this way and have never had any issues with any of them. Right now you can get the base MBP 15 for 1599.00 which is only a 100 more than regular new price of the black Macbook. As a side note, I have had one iPod come to me DOA from the refurb store but they overnighted me another one so that definitely restored my faith...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
buy the macbook pro....i have both, and the MBP is 10x the computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
mbp had the better screen resolution, not to mention the screen looked much better. even with the same color profile on both, the mb screen had sort of a white glare to it.

the mbp is the better machine, but i was happy with owning a mb for 1 yr.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.