Another stupid question, this time regarding Cingular Aircards 3G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16GHz, 23" Cinema Display, iPod Hi-Fi, Airport Extreme/Express, iPod, iPhone 8GB
Okay, my previous notebook (Sony) had a PCI slot or PC slot (not sure of the name) on the side which allowed me to plug in say wireless card or memory stick reader. I notice the Apple has one but its no where near as wide. Say I were to obtain a Cingular 3G Aircard, would this be compatible to run wireless Internet or is this a different type of card compatibility?

optiongtmax36_l.gif

sierrawireless-ac875-l.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
No, because the smaller card is an ExpressCard/34 and will not accept the larger 54mm full-sized PCMCIA card above.

Merlin carries a compatible card. Because Cingular does not carry it, you won't get the contract price that you could get for the Sierra Wireless card (that is to say, if you sign up for a 1-2 year data plan, you'll get the Sierra Wireless card for around $100; you'll have to purchase the Merlin card sans-contract and as such will have to pay about $380 for the device).

I've been looking at buying one of these myself, especially since I work for Cingular and can get the data for free :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16GHz, 23" Cinema Display, iPod Hi-Fi, Airport Extreme/Express, iPod, iPhone 8GB
No, because the smaller card is an ExpressCard/34 and will not accept the larger 54mm full-sized PCMCIA card above.

Merlin carries a compatible card. Because Cingular does not carry it, you won't get the contract price that you could get for the Sierra Wireless card (that is to say, if you sign up for a 1-2 year data plan, you'll get the Sierra Wireless card for around $100; you'll have to purchase the Merlin card sans-contract and as such will have to pay about $380 for the device).

I've been looking at buying one of these myself, especially since I work for Cingular and can get the data for free :)

Okay, this still sounds like it will work. My best friend offered me a line or card at full retail price -30% and I get the data for free. If I can get this one yu are referring to I'll jump all over it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.