Water Spilled on Keyboard, Help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz
A friend of mine gave me her water logged 1.4Ghz Ibook thats just had its one year birthday.

This is her description of what happened:

"Water spilled, definitely not a whole cup at all, and as soon as it spilled i immediately moved it and dried it off. The computer wasn't running when it happened, but then I tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't turn on."

The battery shows a full charge and the little neon light is on when plugged in, but beyond that, its shows no signs of life.

Apple store told her it would cost 750 to fix--I assume for a new logic board?

Question: How do I go about testing to see what works, if anything?

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
How long ago was the spill? Remove the battery and keyboard (press the two little plastic tabs toward you at the top of the number keys and raise up while pressing in on them), then disconnect the ribbon cable from its socket by slipping a thin object under each end of the socket holder clip (search for pictures on how to remove keyboard if you are not sure of what I am talking about as the ribbon cable can be destroyed if you dont unlock the socket clip). If the spill was in the past few days, I'd place the keyboard/battery-free iBook near a warm but not melting hot heat source (above a radiator, on the floor over a central heat vent, etc) for a couple days to really dry everything out. Then reconnect the keyboard and install battery, reset the PRAM and PMU (search the forum for how to do this) then see if it will come up.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz
The spill happened about 4 months ago. She said she tried to turn it on a little after the spill, so I am wondering if she fried the guts of the computer. I have read that the Logicboard is the most likely thing to go. Now, the computer won't turn on at all.

I was just wondering how to test the logicboard, hard drive, lcd, etc., to see what is fried and what is spared.

Would a fried logicboard cause nothing in the computer to turn on (fans, etc.)?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
The spill happened about 4 months ago. She said she tried to turn it on a little after the spill, so I am wondering if she fried the guts of the computer. I have read that the Logicboard is the most likely thing to go. Now, the computer won't turn on at all.

I was just wondering how to test the logicboard, hard drive, lcd, etc., to see what is fried and what is spared.

Would a fried logicboard cause nothing in the computer to turn on (fans, etc.)?

Thanks.
a fried logic board sure could and would.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.