Slow flash, shockwave and Java...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
I recently purchased the 12" iBook 900Mhz g3 system...
I've upgraded the ram and I'm maxed out at 640MB... I've noticed however, that shockwave, flash and java files run horribly slow. Is this a short-coming of the g3 processor? I don't know what it could be...

My friend has an 800mhz g4 iBook setup... also w/ maxed out memory... and he says things run fine on his side. I suppose I use the Safari web-browser, where he uses Firefox.

If there's a fix, any suggestions? Need more info? Lemme know. Thanks!!!

O

otopico

i have the same iBook as you, and under panther, i dont see any real slowdown with flash or shockwave. java apps tend to take a bit to load and start, but dont really run slower.

trying firefox couldnt hurt.

OP
mpeters13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
otopico said:
i have the same iBook as you, and under panther, i dont see any real slowdown with flash or shockwave. java apps tend to take a bit to load and start, but dont really run slower.

trying firefox couldnt hurt.

Really? I'm running panther also, and I'm still having this weird problem. I know this isnt' a g4, but it's still a high end g3... I would expect it to play...

I did try FireFox, and it didn't help. Not sure what the problem could be.

Go to http://www.miniclip.com and play minigolf, or Trial Bike Pro or something like that on your g3... then go play it on a pc <yuck> or a different mac computer... I wish I knew what the problem was. I've already tried formatting... but to no avail.

Thanks for your response.

OP
mpeters13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
mpeters13 said:
Really? I'm running panther also, and I'm still having this weird problem. I know this isnt' a g4, but it's still a high end g3... I would expect it to play...

Go to http://www.miniclip.com and play minigolf, or Trial Bike Pro or something like that on your g3... then go play it on a pc <yuck> or a different mac computer... I wish I knew what the problem was. I've already tried formatting... but to no avail.

Wow... so I tried these things out on his laptop also, and things also run shitty. This is obviously a problem with the plugin for os x, and not the hardware as it runs great in OS 9.2.2... No complaints there... I guess I'll just reboot to classic when I feel like playing some online games. :)

-Matt

O

otopico

mpeters13 said:

ok, i can what you are talking about. dirtbike was dirt slow. but minigolf ran fine. maybe there is an issue with the jvm or the flash osx implementation?

OP
mpeters13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
otopico said:
ok, i can what you are talking about. dirtbike was dirt slow. but minigolf ran fine. maybe there is an issue with the jvm or the flash osx implementation?

After coming up with those results, I'd have to agree. I have no clue what else could be the problem. Like I mentioned, booting back to os 9.2.2 and running those games shows that the problem isn't hardware related.

Now the bigger problem. Getting enough people to complain to Macromedia and Sun to see an eventual fix... Not that minigolf or dirtbike are main priorities... but ya know, if there' s a bug, it should be fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.