Can I get MS outlook to go to Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I have a Microsoft Outlook account that I've had forever. It's from an old job. I think it's express - that stripped down version that has just about NO useful features at all. How do I get that in Mail? It's been my email account for everything for like 8 years now, so I really want to get my stuff from there...

How do I know if it's a POP, IMAG or exchange account? And how do I get the incoming and outgoing server info? The other to accounts I have in Mail followed the same type of info "pop.gmail.com" and "smtp.gmail.com". Could the Outlook info be like that? The company is a school with barely one IT person and the last thing they have time for is getting this info to me.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Tools Accounts Servers will get you that information for your pop account information. If it is Outlook Express then it is not an exchange server although the actual server may be exchange capable. Outlook Express can pop your mail from an exchange server type system that also allows pop, but it treats it as a pop server. Get the account name, incoming and outgoing server addresses or IP addresses depending on how your is setup. As for how to get your old emails and contacts onto your Mac mail, the best way is to create a hotmail, yahoo, etc type account and forward it all from your old PC to that mail, then bring it into your Mac mail. Since it is a pop client (Outlook express) all your old emails are physically on that pc and not on the server unless you had the option checked in Outlook Express to leave a copy on the server (which is possible but unlikely). I don't think your Mac mail can import from an Outlook Express mailbox export or the filestore itself. Maybe someone has experience with a 3rd party mail utility. Personally, I'd try either forwarding them all to another account, or setup both computers to access the same account at the same time and be sitting in front of both of them where you can forward a message from the pc to yourself, send it, then hit the send/receive on the mac so that it will intercept it before it comes back to the pc during its own send/receive. I actually do this sometimes when I get an email on my laptop and want to forward it to my partner who uses the same account sitting on the other side of the room. We will both be in email, it comes to me, I forward it to him, and he does a send/receive so that he gets it on his Mac before it has a chance to come back to mine, then I delete it off mine. Probably not the best way but it works.

OP
rcronin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
phew! That's a lot of info! Thanks. I will have to reread this a few times and get started.

I appreciate all the info.

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.