• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

His Steveness talks about music

M

MacHeadCase

Steve Jobs posted on Apple's site a reply to those who accuse Apple of using DRM on their iTMS online stores.

Thoughts on Music.

...To begin, it is useful to remember that all iPods play music that is free of any DRM and encoded in “open” licensable formats such as MP3 and AAC. iPod users can and do acquire their music from many sources, including CDs they own. Music on CDs can be easily imported into the freely-downloadable iTunes jukebox software which runs on both Macs and Windows PCs, and is automatically encoded into the open AAC or MP3 formats without any DRM. This music can be played on iPods or any other music players that play these open formats.

The rub comes from the music Apple sells on its online iTunes Store. Since Apple does not own or control any music itself, it must license the rights to distribute music from others, primarily the “big four” music companies: Universal, Sony BMG, Warner and EMI. These four companies control the distribution of over 70% of the world’s music. When Apple approached these companies to license their music to distribute legally over the Internet, they were extremely cautious and required Apple to protect their music from being illegally copied. The solution was to create a DRM system, which envelopes each song purchased from the iTunes store in special and secret software so that it cannot be played on unauthorized devices. ...

A very interesting read, IMO. I invite all those who have the time to read this post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
He has many great points..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
...To begin, it is useful to remember that all iPods play music that is free of any DRM and encoded in “open” licensable formats such as MP3 and AAC. iPod users can and do acquire their music from many sources, including CDs they own. Music on CDs can be easily imported into the freely-downloadable iTunes jukebox software which runs on both Macs and Windows PCs, and is automatically encoded into the open AAC or MP3 formats without any DRM. This music can be played on iPods or any other music players that play these open formats.
This is the part that most of the iPod/iTunes/Apple "haters" seem to conveniently forget about. That or they are that daft and don't even realize that you can put any music you want on an iPod. They usually think that you absolutely must buy from iTunes and that you have to use a Mac.
These same people like to "blame" Apple, when they fail to realize that simple fact... Apple doesn't own or control the music. They have no say in the matter and they must comply with the demands of those that do control it. Either that, or they don't sell it.
Good read.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Very interesting post, MHC. I especially enjoyed the contrast between copy protecting a few digital songs versus keeping CDs open. These are interesting times. Thanks!

Reaction score
I bought my wife her first MP3 player a couple years ago because she wanted to listen to audiobooks on it. The local library had them in MP3 format and I believed -- obviously mistakenly -- that you couldn't play them on an iPod. This was also what the girl working at the library had told her. So, we bought her some other cheap piece of crap.

Now she has her 80G iPod for watching TV and movies, and I just bought myself a little Shuffle this evening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I stayed away from iPod's until the 5th gen (Feb. '06) and a lot of it had to do with not wanting to give up my .mp3 files - everyone that I knew of used AAC encoding, mainly because they didn't know how to rip to .mp3 in iTunes. Once I learned the truth, however, I went out and bought me a new iPod 30GB Video. I've been a very happy iPod owner since then, and use it about 3 hours per day, even more when I'm out to sea. My iPod turned me on to Macs, and now I have the two Macs and the iPod. What a great joy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Well, it's good that Steve addresses a lot of good points in that article, but the fact remains that while you may not need the iTunes music store for your ipod, you do need to use the iTunes program itself, which forces a lot of Windows users into using it for that convenience when there are several lighter-weight, less glitchy music players available for Windows. Furthermore, you need music files to be in a format specifically supported by the iPod (and this excludes ogg and flac). Granted, Steve wanted to address the DRM issue more than anything else in the article, but I just thought I'd point out that there are restrictive aspects on the iPod and iTunes deal that irk people aside from the DRM thing. The article doesn't suddenly make users of other MP3 players and music players realize they were wrong about something; DRM is only one thing that has become associated with iPod, but it's also probably the most wrongly associated one so the article was good to post.

Reaction score
This is the part that most of the iPod/iTunes/Apple "haters" seem to conveniently forget about. That or they are that daft and don't even realize that you can put any music you want on an iPod. They usually think that you absolutely must buy from iTunes and that you have to use a Mac.
These same people like to "blame" Apple, when they fail to realize that simple fact... Apple doesn't own or control the music. They have no say in the matter and they must comply with the demands of those that do control it. Either that, or they don't sell it.
Good read.

Some of those "daft" people I've met are more bugged about having to use iTunes exclusively to load the iPod. They don't feel iTunes is a good enough Jukebox (I never ask why they think so), but they feel intimidated by being forced to use certain software.

It's a critical tipping point, because as Mac users, we invariably use more Apple software than 3rd party apps. It's a very dicy discussion. Are Mac users less free? I feel we use the apps because they are convenient, and they are good, or good enough. For some reason I would love to have pages as my main word processor, but Microsoft has done a good job with Office, and Office 2007 is very nice and they've really made an effort on usability. Pages lacks certain level of complexity and adaptability. Too many Newsletter templates, and making own templates is relatively difficult. I'm swerving off here, but you get the bigger picture :)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Well, it's good that Steve addresses a lot of good points in that article, but the fact remains that while you may not need the iTunes music store for your ipod, you do need to use the iTunes program itself, which forces a lot of Windows users into using it for that convenience when there are several lighter-weight, less glitchy music players available for Windows.

So why don't these music players support the iPod? Seems a bit daft to me, if I was writing a music player I would want to support the majority of MP3 players out there!

I've used shell scripts to load up my iPod before now and the index format is plain XML which you can knock out with a simple Perl script so it isn't like there is any technical reason stopping them supporting the iPod.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
It's a critical tipping point, because as Mac users, we invariably use more Apple software than 3rd party apps. It's a very dicy discussion. Are Mac users less free? I feel we use the apps because they are convenient, and they are good, or good enough. For some reason I would love to have pages as my main word processor, but Microsoft has done a good job with Office, and Office 2007 is very nice and they've really made an effort on usability. Pages lacks certain level of complexity and adaptability. Too many Newsletter templates, and making own templates is relatively difficult. I'm swerving off here, but you get the bigger picture :)

Pages is very new and I'm expecting a lot of changes in this years version, i.e iWork 2007, when it arrives. Apple will have accumulated a ton of feedback so we'll just have to see how much they've taken notice of.

Office has had several decades of development otoh and I still can't stand it, even simple things like trying to select a peice of text is annoying because it seems to think it can decide better than me what I actually want to select and the rules it uses to second guess me seem to change from one version to the next!

Amen-Moses

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i know i can use standard mp3s on an ipod.

i know i could use hard drive mode to circumvent itunes.

i know i can use rockbox to make an ipod do anything hard drive mode won't quite allow.

i also know i want to continue to buy sandisk players when i need a flash player despite the hoops i have to jump through to get music on them from a mac simply because of the greater options to price ratio (including an FM tuner).

my next HD player might just have to be a creative player using XNJB software to connect to my mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
What ever happens with DRM Apple is in a win ,win situ. If the Music industry drop the DRM then they will no doubt ask for more money from Apple. This extra cost will of course be passed on to us that use iTunes music store.
So why not keep the DRM ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
So why don't these music players support the iPod? Seems a bit daft to me, if I was writing a music player I would want to support the majority of MP3 players out there!

I've used shell scripts to load up my iPod before now and the index format is plain XML which you can knock out with a simple Perl script so it isn't like there is any technical reason stopping them supporting the iPod.

Amen-Moses

Well, my point was laying more in the fact that there are a good number of MP3 players out there that let you just "drag and drop" your songs into them, without being tied into using a bloated music player or using programming knowledge that most computer users don't have (granted, Perl is kind of... ). MP3 players shouldn't need a specific music player to be used by the average person.

Reaction score
It seems that about 80% of the MP3-player using market disagrees with that assessment. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I have an iPOD and am a big fan... but there are two important points that Steve won't draw attention to.

1) If you want to buy music online to play on your iPOD, you MUST buy it from iTunes.

2) If you buy music from iTunes, you MUST use iPOD.

The two are inseperable but subtely different. What should concern people is that if you have 10 or 20 albums from iTunes, you'll only ever be able to play them on iPOD. Great for Apple, but slightly less choice for the consumer.

Reaction score
Hmm. He (Job Man) has a good point obviously which I agree with. I download quite a lot of music from the iTunes store - though it's mainly stuff I just wouldn't buy in the shops.

It does irk me slightly that I can't do all the things I want to do with the tracks, however.

I think, perhaps, it would be better if they offered true audio files and the appropriate "License" as an option, however, given that most have Broadband access these days.

I, as I'm sure others will agree, would happily pay for that option accordingly.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I have an iPOD and am a big fan... but there are two important points that Steve won't draw attention to.

1) If you want to buy music online to play on your iPOD, you MUST buy it from iTunes.

cant you play any mp3 on an ipod? there are music stores, like emusic, that sell non-drm, simple good ol' mp3s.

Reaction score

Ummm ... I'm pretty sure any MP3 you get on the web will play.

2) If you buy music from iTunes, you MUST use iPOD.

Or you can just play it on your computer. Or you can burn it to a music CD. Or, as some folks here suggested to me, you could even:

1. d/l from iTunes
2. burn songs to music CD
3. rip those songs from the CD back to iTunes in MP3 format
4. use the MP3 files on any device to plays MP3s

I'm not defending the Apple/iTunes system, but neither would I condemn it. They've clearly been wildly successful with it and I'm pretty sure the company's stockholders would like to keep that billion-dollar business chugging along. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I think Apple just makes it too much of a pain in the butt to use anything other than an iPod. I have an old Creative Zen brick, and it took forever for me to find a program (finally found XNJB) that let me use it. I really don't care about the iTunes write protection, because you can still do things with the music, or avoid them. What really gets me is DRM protected WMA's. There's little that can be done to get around that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.