Unstable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
During the day my internet is fine :) no problems

However around 3-4 o clock it becomes unstable, it is fine for websurfing however it disconnects msn every 10 - 20 mins which is highly annoying

My isp is toucan... i have never had a problem with them before until i upgraded my internet to up to 8mbps

Has any one else had a simular experiance, is there anything i can do such a port forwarding etc?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is it cable or dsl?

do you use a wired connection or wireless?
if wireless, have you tried a different wireless channel or moving the router itself to a different location or removing possible sources of interference (cordless phones and such)?

have you reset the router and modem (powered both off, power up modem for at least two min, then power up router)?

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is wireless, I have full signal... tried reseting router all to no avail
i am dsl...
It only happens during the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Are you or is anyone in the area running a microwave oven? If you're running one, you will be susceptible to interference from it.

Also, Eric asked about changing channels, and you didn't actually say anything about that. A full signal doesn't help if someone else with a strong signal is nearby on the same channel. See if someone else is running a strong signal on the same channel as you. If they are, change the frequency on both your router/AirPort and your MacBook.

Final thought. Are you on your own network? Are you sure? Have you checked? Maybe you're connecting through a neighbor's network. Unless you have your MacBook set to connect deliberately to yours, you could be surfing on someone else's service.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 1G 15"
or someone(s) could be using your wireless connection.

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i am on my own network and i am WEP secured so no1 can join me
How does one go about changing the channels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
WEP security is almost worthless. Someone is likely using your network at that time or has a strong signal on the same channel, as mentioned above. Look at your wireless router's documentation or website for how to login to it or type ifconfig in Terminal to see your gateway address- it is likely your wireless router's address. Then open a browser and type that IP address into the address bar and login. Each router is different, but all have a setting for the wireless channel. In the US, you should stick to 1, 6 or 11 for minimal interference.

You can run a free program called iStumbler which will show you the wireless networks in the area. Then you can change your channel to avoid using the same as theirs.

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None appears under the attached devices... that seems suspicious
there are only 2 people that use this network
me - mac osx 10.4.4 intel
bro - windows xp pro
The people living around my area are as thick as two planks neway
70 yr olds on the left
chavs on the right
I tried to plug the router into my ethernet port, however my connection was still on & off
Internet works fine, its just games and msn that crash

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
if you're plugging in directly, then it's your modem most likley or your provider. could also be wiring in the home.

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could it be overheating?
I checked it and it didnt feel very hot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Internet works fine, its just games and msn that crash
How is it when you go to sites where you might encounter large downloads? The Apple site in the Quicktime pages make a good test, especially if you try to view some HD (high definition) videos. Does it choke on those? If it does, then it's probably your ISP not having the capacity during what is typically a high volume period. If it doesn't choke on those, then it's probably on the side of the game servers and msn whereby *they* don't have the capacity to meet user demands.

Hope this helps!

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, i tried to view some videos and download files off the itunes downloads section
and had a download rate of 1 - 3 kbs where normally it 245kbs
I might phone my isp and complain
however they did put me on a high usage thing they emailed me about becuase of my "excessive downloads"
Well if updating your programs and playing games is called excessive i hate to think what they would do if i downloaded anything else.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.