Macbook - Yuuuummmmmmy

Reaction score
Edge of the Cotswold (Just next to Liz's Gaff!!!)
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2gb, 250gb HD
I've just aquired myself a nice black macbook.

Its only got 512mb ram, so would like to get this upgraded as I have been told it will make the biggest difference.

Where in the UK is the best place to do this, and also how much Ram can I install?

What cost can I expect it to be?

Thanks in advance

Celtic

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
someone else will surely be able to answer this better than i, but i just wanted to say congrats on the new macbook and welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I think the max RAM you can install in a Macbook is 2GB (which would require you to discard your existing RAM)

1GB is about £65 for branded stuff from ebuyer.com.

I use this company frequently for PC stuff and they are pretty good. Some of their value stuff can be a real steal - prices are much lower than the high street stores - but unfortunately some of the bargain stuff is cheap for a reason! When it comes to RAM - it is probably better to get a branded make rather than save a few quid on the value stuff - however in this case (as of writing) 1GB of branded stuff is actually a few pence cheaper than the same size value stuff.

Anyway - congrats on the purchase - I've just bought a white MacBook - A little unhappy in the beginning but I'm loving it now.

OP
celtictricky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the max RAM you can install in a Macbook is 2GB (which would require you to discard your existing RAM)

1GB is about £65 for branded stuff from ebuyer.com.

I use this company frequently for PC stuff and they are pretty good. Some of their value stuff can be a real steal - prices are much lower than the high street stores - but unfortunately some of the bargain stuff is cheap for a reason! When it comes to RAM - it is probably better to get a branded make rather than save a few quid on the value stuff - however in this case (as of writing) 1GB of branded stuff is actually a few pence cheaper than the same size value stuff.

Anyway - congrats on the purchase - I've just bought a white MacBook - A little unhappy in the beginning but I'm loving it now.

Many thanks for the feedback. Yes, 120 quid for 2Gb of ram is not bad at all - Do you think it will make a difference to the machine. I do find it a little slow, especially when using iPhoto (Which has about 5000 pictures in it!!)

Very pleased with it indeed at the moment - but it does take a little getting used to and having been a windows user for a number of years, everything in my gaff is pc based.....so for example I cannot seem to connect to my Printer Server.....or cannot seem to figure out how to map drives.....but its all a learning curve :)

Celtic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
You'll find a world of difference with 2G of RAM. Mine has only 1G, but it's pretty snappy even with non-universal stuff like Photoshop. I demand quite a bit from it running multiple browsers, Photoshop, iTunes, and some other apps all while using multi-desktops. It chugs along fine. At some time in the future I'll go up to 2G, but for now it's great! 2G will make the most out of a fine machine.

And congrats on the purchase. I have a white one while I got my wife a black one. I'm only slightly jealous of it, but she LOVES it! Besides, my white Macbook matches my white Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard, Mighty Mouse, iPod, headphones, external monitor, external monitor DVI-VGA adapter....power brick; you get the idea.

Oh, to map drives go in finder to the Go menu and select 'Connect to Server'. If you're wanting to map a windows or samba share, type in smb://nameofmachine (or smb://ip.address.of.machine) you want to connect to in the resulting dialog. It should give you a box that has the shares available on that machine and the ability to authenticate if necessary. Select the share you want to map, and it should show up on your desktop just like your hard drive, except it'll have that internet-y icon. To disconnect, drag it to the trash.

OP
celtictricky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your comments guys.

I have ordered 2Gb of ram this morning from Ebuyer, so I hope to have the machine zipping along in no time :)

Regarding the mapping - yes I have found the connect to server, and indeed the share does appear on the desktop. But, when I reboot I have to connect again....which is ok, but a bit of a pain.

Regards

Celtic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Thanks for your comments guys.

Regarding the mapping - yes I have found the connect to server, and indeed the share does appear on the desktop. But, when I reboot I have to connect again....which is ok, but a bit of a pain.

Celtic

Simple solution to that problem: don't reboot. A fairly high percentage of Mac users don't bother with shutting them down, but rather put 'em to sleep. You're mapped share should be there waiting for you once it instantly comes back to life. That's what I do. I'll reboot about once a week maybe for the Macbook, but back when I had a desktop Mac Mini I kept it up for weeks at a time, only shutting it down when Software Update required a reboot.

I don't think my wife has rebooted hers since she first turned it on, come to think of it. It's sleeping in the bedroom with the cats right now :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Simple solution to that problem: don't reboot. A fairly high percentage of Mac users don't bother with shutting them down, but rather put 'em to sleep. You're mapped share should be there waiting for you once it instantly comes back to life. That's what I do. I'll reboot about once a week maybe for the Macbook, but back when I had a desktop Mac Mini I kept it up for weeks at a time, only shutting it down when Software Update required a reboot.

I don't think my wife has rebooted hers since she first turned it on, come to think of it. It's sleeping in the bedroom with the cats right now :p
Make a alias to the network share in your start portion of your user account, I would give your a more descriptive answer but I am at work right now on a PC :(

OP
celtictricky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I've orderd the 2Gb, and it will be here on Tuesday.

Is it easy to fit - or should I expect any problems?

I'm really hoping that it does make a BIG difference - its not that great when using multiple apps at the moment, so fingers crossed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I've just aquired myself a nice black macbook.

Its only got 512mb ram, so would like to get this upgraded as I have been told it will make the biggest difference.

Where in the UK is the best place to do this, and also how much Ram can I install?

What cost can I expect it to be?

Thanks in advance

Celtic

Hi Celtic. I'm exactly the same as you - got myself a tasty new(refurbished) Black Macbook today! My first thoughts were also exactly the same as you; to upgrade the RAM.

However, I decided against Ebuyer. The last few orders with them have been either late or I've had to return them. Saying that, they do great deals and I hope yours are fine! Post on here and prove me wrong!

I went for Orcalogic myself who gave me a price of £120.50 for 2GB including express delivery. It should be arriving on Tuesday!

The instructions on the Apple site (thanks jram) seem easy enough - I can't wait!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
My MacBook has 1GB of RAM. Is upgrading to 2GB as simple as opening it up and sticking an extra 1GB in? Or do I have to take the existing memory out and put in one stick of 2GB of RAM?

Thanks, Dave.

EDIT: Sorry, scratch that. Just saw the link above to the Apple website which answers all my questions. I have got this bookmarked now. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a MacBook for my daughter who will be attending university this fall. If I end up with a refurb that needs more memory, I just want to be sure I understand the memory upgrade process.

I looked at the instructions to install memory, it says for the best performance that 2 sticks of equal size should be used. Does this mean for a machine that has 1GB that there will be 2 512M sticks from the factory? So, in order to upgrade to 2GB, the 512M sticks would be throw away?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Right. You'll need 2 1GB sticks for 2GB.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
I am considering purchasing a MacBook for my daughter who will be attending university this fall. If I end up with a refurb that needs more memory, I just want to be sure I understand the memory upgrade process.

I looked at the instructions to install memory, it says for the best performance that 2 sticks of equal size should be used. Does this mean for a machine that has 1GB that there will be 2 512M sticks from the factory? So, in order to upgrade to 2GB, the 512M sticks would be throw away?

They wouldn't exactly be "throw away". The same RAM is used in virtually all laptops nowadays so if you or another family member has a laptop you can use the RAM in it.

Amen-Moses

OP
celtictricky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, the ram I took out of the Macbook when my two gig arrived has been sold on ebay without any poblems.

the 2gb does make a difference - not a huge difference, but certainly I am much happier with the speed of applications now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.