So I went to clean my screen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I had read that it was alright to clean Macbooks with water and a micro fibre cloth so thats what I did on the screen. I think I misread, because there are like, marks or something on the screen. Is it where the water dried? I better go find some glasses cleaner or something.

Reaction score
I just use warm water and a cloth, making sure almost all the water has been rung out. It's fine to do as long as you're gentle.

OP
plusfortyfour
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
Will the marks eventually go away?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I treat my Macbook screen like I do my glasses: clean with the same cloths and 'glasses wipes' that you can get for optical products. Takes streaks and spots right out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
What water did you use? Sometimes theres um.. "stuff" in your water.. little particles of calcium lean and other "stuff", especisially in warm or hot water! Try this, the same water you used get a clear glass and fill it with this water... can you see things floating aound? is it cloudy?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've been using Ammonia-free Spic&Span Cinch glass cleaner on all of my notebook LCDs with great results. It dissolves the greasy fingerprints that tend to accumulate on screens and I've never had any problems with it effecting the functionality or appearance of the display (other than a clean screen, obviously).

But officially, they like you to just use a plain damp cloth. Unfortunately, that doesn't always do the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz CoreDuo MacBook | Blue iPod Mini
I also use optical cleaning products that I use for my glasses, including cleaning cloths for cleaning my screen.

What do people recommend for cleaning the white area around the mousepad, as mine is a bit dirty?

Reaction score
Where did you buy the MF towel. Some places sell these towels but they are full of parafin wax. You need to wash the rag a few times if this is the case. Just use some shampoo and wash it by hand. Then hold it under a hot tap and ring it out a bunch of times.
I have $17 towels and someties they do they same. Its all the water that they hold. In my case I just exhale hot air onto the screen and take it from there with the rag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I also use optical cleaning products that I use for my glasses, including cleaning cloths for cleaning my screen.

What do people recommend for cleaning the white area around the mousepad, as mine is a bit dirty?

Same optical cleaning wipes that I use for the screen. "Anti static anti streaking lens wipes" from our local costco type place seem to work well for getting the discoloration out from the area adjacent to the trackpad.

Or medical alcohol wipes that I find in our company first aid kit. Don't use those on the screen though, those leave a residue!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
do these marks coincide with the location of the keys on your keypad? i know there was an issue with my powerbook where the screen actually touched the keys and over time left marks that were difficult, but not impossible, to remove....just takes some TLC with that clean cloth and water
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"
Marks on the actual computer can be taken away with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, I just use Windex on my iBook screen, works fine for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
Marks on the actual computer can be taken away with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, I just use Windex on my iBook screen, works fine for me.

Hope that Windex was ammonia-free!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.