All Vetrans of the Mac, Let's get down to it!

Reaction score
Alrighty,

There are alot of people switching to the Mac for their own reasons, I am not going to get into that.

There is another subject and series of threads that I believe need to be created or at least tried to be talked about.

I know, I know, some of you are asking yourselves

"Who the Heck are You to tell Us what to Write"

Well let me tell you who I am .... I am .... "the silent majority, you idiot! " (Nobody here is an idiot, it is just a movie line that came to me at this exact moment, Any guesses, Bonus Points?)

Anyway, it seems that the Mac OS is SOOOOO fluid and free flowing that I am finding the somewhat lack of structure going from exciting to overbearing.

I would lke to suggest a new set of threads about how some of you vetrans configure your downloads, documents, file your programs, hidden settings, spotlight tricks and tips, etc.

For example I am using path finder for an explorer replacement, I LOVE the way it gives me controls of everything around the system. I am kinda confused about where to go from here with the program, what the most effective way of setting it up is, etc.

So hpefully this will be the start of some nice threads or discussions about how to help people who get a mac, stay with a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I have my HD partitioned into 3 sections. I find it easier to organize, and alot quicker to restore if need be.

Partition 1 - System files, all this is is the installation of OS X, and what ever other files that need to be installed here.

Partition 2 - All my 3rd party apps

Partion 3 - User files. My entire home account is on this drive.

I have it set that way to keep it more organized, and in the rare chance that I have to reinstall, it only takes my install time to get everything back up, and I can do a clean install everytime, no need to archive and install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
One Partition: Macintosh HD. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
"
Anyway, it seems that the Mac OS is SOOOOO fluid and free flowing that I am finding the somewhat lack of structure going from exciting to overbearing.

I would lke to suggest a new set of threads about how some of you vetrans configure your downloads, documents, file your programs, hidden settings, spotlight tricks and tips, etc.

So hpefully this will be the start of some nice threads or discussions about how to help people who get a mac, stay with a mac.
I am not sure what you mean by this. OS X is very structured and self-organizing. "Programs" (applications) go in the Applications folder, Spotlight really has no 'tricks' to it, and configuring downloads is a rather general topic... other than that, I am really not sure what you are after here. :confused:

If you are looking for some suggestions or advice on how people set things up for a specific app, then I would suggest that you first check out the existing threads and forums. There are some very helpful and informative ones already. A good search will turn up some golden answers. :black:

If you aren't finding what you are looking for after a thourough search of the forums, then feel free to ask in a new thread.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
I have my HD partitioned into 3 sections. I find it easier to organize, and alot quicker to restore if need be.

Partition 1 - System files, all this is is the installation of OS X, and what ever other files that need to be installed here.

Partition 2 - All my 3rd party apps

Partion 3 - User files. My entire home account is on this drive.

I have it set that way to keep it more organized, and in the rare chance that I have to reinstall, it only takes my install time to get everything back up, and I can do a clean install everytime, no need to archive and install.

Is there something like Partition Magic for the MAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure. That's one reason why I do a fresh install when I get my computer.

OP
DeathtoToasters
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by this. OS X is very structured and self-organizing. "Programs" (applications) go in the Applications folder, Spotlight really has no 'tricks' to it, and configuring downloads is a rather general topic... other than that, I am really not sure what you are after here. :confused:

If you are looking for some suggestions or advice on how people set things up for a specific app, then I would suggest that you first check out the existing threads and forums. There are some very helpful and informative ones already. A good search will turn up some golden answers. :black:

If you aren't finding what you are looking for after a thourough search of the forums, then feel free to ask in a new thread.

What I mean is that I think it is kind of distraction to have all the apps in one main apps folder. I usually like organizing the main programs folder into stuff like: Media Tools, System Tools, Internet Apps, Multimedia tools, etc.

Helps me to find stuff quicker and makes everything organized.

So I guess in a round-about-way I was wondering how else people did it.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, after you select your language, In the menubar, one of the options is Disk Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.