Crazy Macbook problem!

Reaction score
I've had my Macbook (1st gen - not C2D) for some time now, and think its a wonderful machine. Alas, a problem as arisen. I left my Macbook in "sleep" mode until the battery ran out, and since then, the battery has been purely symbolic in nature. It either won't hold or a change or perhaps it simply isn't supplying power, but either way, the only way i can use my Macbook now is when it's plugged into a wall. When I try charging, the light stays a solid green as if the battery were fully charged. Yet, it won't power up unless plugged in, and once powered on, the moment I unplug it, the power cuts out instantly! Yet, leaving it charging for hours doesn't work, and all the while, the green light stays on, telling me that the battery believes itself to be fully charged. Is there a reset I can hit or some kind of special code I can type?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well that's odd. it's supposed to be designed to do this (sleep until the battery is near gone).

did you have all your firmware updates done?

have you tried removing and replacing the battery?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good suggestions from Eric. One other, does the Macbook battery have that button on it you press that lights up a string of LED lights like the iBooks? If so, what happens when you press that. Do all the LED's light? If so the battery is charged.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I tried resetting the pwr management system and nothing has changed. The LED indicator at the bottom of the machine does nothing when pressed (interestingly, when I first bought my Macbook, I had to return the battery because it worked fine but did not show indications on the LED - could my Macbook be a battery killer?). I noticed that when powered-on, plugged into a wall, the on-screen battery icon has an X in its center. Does this mean that the Macbook isn't even detecting the battery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Wow dont let this problem evolve into a bigger one. Take it into apple quickly. It is very intresting your first battery had to be replaced also.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with MacMania55. Take that Macbook to Apple ASAP. The battery is not getting a charge or is dead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.