This might be a stupid question...

Reaction score
Im new to mac, i just switched in late december. I was wondering if he new Mac OS X 10.5 Leapord will come in a lower priced upgrade form or will it just be a standard install disc that can be used whether you have tiger or not? I know windows has this, but Im not sure if Mac does this also...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
historically there has never been a 'cheap upgrade' of osx....you purchase it for 129.99 i believe and it is the full install disk with all the bells and whistles...youthen have the choices of upgrading or full install or whatever you want.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Like coach said, there's only one version of Mac OS X. Apple doesn't make an upgrade version and a separate full retail version. It's just one disc.

However, as for getting it cheaper. If you're a student, you're in luck as historically, the education discount makes OS X come out to a very affordable $79. I know that I will be taking advantage of this when Leopard comes out. :black:

Reaction score
I'll be getting OS X 10.5 Home Premium when it comes out...

lol, just kidding. Apple has followed the "ONE OS" policy since the introduction of OS X. The only modification is the server edition, which is only different because it ships with a lot of extra tools, most of which are open source anyway.

OP
S
Reaction score
wow thank you for all your input... I am a student and that discount sounds great, is there anything I have to do to get the discount? Like prove I'm a student? When I got Microsoft Office Student Edition, every site I looked at said it was strictly for students and teachers...but I bought it without having t show any proof and it installed just like any other software...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You have to buy it online from Apple.com to use the student discount. You just need to select your school from the list. Everytime I've tried to get the discount at an Apple Store, they tell me I have to do it online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
funny, ive never had trouble getting my student discounts at stores.

but this has been on hardware, so software may be different, but i just dont see how.

Ill be using my discount as well.

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you very much...i just found out my school has an apple store online...everything there has the student discount...this is great...i checked the Mac OS X Tiger to see if it's $69 and it was...

Reaction score
You can also get the student discounts at an Apple Store. Just show them your Student ID and Drivers License. It's what I did for my MBP. :)

I feel it's better to walk out the store with something than waiting for it in the mail. :0)

OP
S
Reaction score
the student discount only appies to the single user pack, theres a family pack that allows 5 users, but thats $199 whether you're a student or not. I'm the only one in my family that has a mac, and unless my dad gets one which he said he might, I'm going to get the single user with my discount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.