Spacebar problem in OSX (VIRUS?). Ideas?

Reaction score
Hi,

I use a Mac G4 (not ibook) running OSX. I have a mystifying (to me) problem--the computer basically works fine, but the keyboard's space does not work. I have searched the internet with no luck, and could use some expert help. There is nothing physically wrong with the keyboard--I have tried two different known working Mac keyboards on my machine with the same result.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Could it be a virus? Setup issue? Your help is appreciated.

Be well,

JDW in Michigan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, its not a virus.
Try rebooting if you haven't already.
if that doesn't/didn't work, then some more information would help.
What version of OS X are you running?
What kind of Mac is this (iMac, eMac, G4 Tower, Mini...etc)?
What have you installed recently?
What applications does this happen with?

OP
J
Reaction score
More Information

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, rebooting is not the ticket--I have actually had this problem for months, but just found this forum.

The problem is not intermittent, in that it doesn’t start working, stop for a while, and work again. (Exception: I did have a friend try and fix it a while back; it worked a few times, but then regressed. I could ask him what he did to fix it, if that might help.)

The Mac is a tower G4 2.6 450 MHZ Power PC with 1 GB of memory. I am running OS X version 10.3.9

I have the problem with every application.

The installed applications are immediately apparant are Safari, itunes, Acrobat 5.0; Adobe Photoshop; Indesign SC, ical, Realone player, Excel, imoviealias, Word, Text Edit, Sticky, Quicktime Player, ichat, Extension Suitcase, Toast6titanium, Disc Utility, Microsoft Entourage, Sherlock, Script Editor and Bluetooth file exchange,

I checked for updates, and the most recent ones I found were to ipod in July 2006, itunes in September 2006, odbc administrator, Script Editor and Terminal in October 2006, and to Quicktime Player in November 2006. There was also an update to Appleport in November 2006.

Another potentially significant event was the installation of an Airport Card for connecting to cable internet (Wowway) with firewire.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if there is any other information that might help.

JDW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
do you have usboverdrivex installed by chance?
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you checked any additional options in the 'Universal access> Keyboard' System preference pane?

OP
J
Reaction score
More Data on Spacebar Problem

Thanks for the suggestions. I searched the computer last night and it appears that I do not have usboverdrivex installed. (I do have USB Device Extension, USB Print Extension, USB Software Locator and USB Apple Monitor Module installed.)

I had the following options checked in the Universal access Keyboard System Preferences panel:

Sticky= Off
Beep when a modifier key is set = Checked
Display pressed keys on screen = Checked
slow keys = off
Use click key sounds = Checked
Acceptance Delay = Set in the middle.

I unchecked all of the checked items; left sticky key and slow keys off, and didn't touch acceptance delay, all to no avail.

Additionally, I reverted to OS 9 and started the machine, but the spacebar still did not work.

Safari unexpectedly quits upon startup, especially if I move to the window quickly. It is annoying, but I'm not sure it is the cause of the problem.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

JDW

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 20"- 2.1.Processor, 1.5 G Ram
Buy a new keyboard............
That's what I had to go do today......:bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
from what u say it must not be a software problem...ur space bar is just busted...i agree with earl u need a new keyboard....6 years is a long lifetime for a keyboard

M

MacHeadCase

This is a Panther system? Have you tried repairing disk permissions? Disk permissions in Panther were a problem, all right!

And maybe download Titanium Software's OnyX for Panther and run maintenance tasks and do some cleaning in your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
That could definitely help. :)

lets hope he doesnt need his spacebar for any of that! :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.