• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problems with Sharp LCD TV and MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' MacBook Pro, 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 1.5 GB Ram
Alright, so I have a 15'' MBP and a 26'' Sharp HD LCD TV (LC-26SH10U). I ordered a DVI-to-HDMI cable (male-to-male) to connect the two devices, mainly so I could watch my downloaded episodes of "Scrubs" on my TV, but that is beside the point...my problem is that my MBP doesn't seem to even see the TV at all...both cables are securely plugged in, but things just arent working. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem is? Thanks in advance!

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
what kind of DVI is it? there are many kinds.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually don't know....it does fit the DVI port on my computer and ends in an HDMI dongle....beyond that I dont know....I bought it on ebay

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Does your TV have VGA?

As even with DVI to HDMI there will be no sound as DVI (Digital Video Interface, ie no sound). It may be a TV setting. My TV automatically switch to the correct mode when I connect the came to my MBP.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My TV does not have VGA....I have a cable that I can use for the sound, but the problem is I am getting absolutely no video from the computer. Im assuming it is some setting or something I am unaware of. Ive been in the display option window for a while now and nothing is working. The native resolution for my tv is 1366x768, and there isnt a res listed like that. I tried DisplayConfigX but you have to pay to get it to work, but if that is the problem I guess I could shuck out the money to get it. Any other suggestions?

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
my TV is the same resolution and soon as I plug it in it comes up. Try plugging it in and switch off your TV then back on again. There maybe a handshank issue but I doubt it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Also you might want to try the System Display preference panel. Click on Detect Displays.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No luck with anything....tried turning the tv on and off, it seems that the computer isnt sending any kind of image to the TV....detect display isnt working either...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The EDID (info passed from TV to the computer) many times will not function correctly from HD TV's to computers. The 'handshake' at this time still has no clear standards.

In System Preferences - display; only option you have is Detect Display, but many TV's will not pass their info along unless they are awake and ready to pass info during the boot process.

Many will not work unless you turn on the TV prior to booting the computer.
(Based on my own experiments and much reading of others trial and error over last couple of years. Some manuals are now stating this also. Turning on the TV and then the computer, DVI to HDMI should work with most TV's in XP and OS X. It still will not work in any Linux that I've tried or heard of so far.)

If this does not work for you, I would suggest next step would be to e-mail Sharp tech support. If you call in and get someone that has an answer for connecting a computer, I would be very surprised. We are still a young breed

In reference to the display resolutions listed, don't worry about that. The one you are seeing is specifically for your MBP. Once you get both screens up and open up Displays - you will have two of these windows, one on each screen. Each window only adjusts the screen it is located on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.