"There was an error joining the wireless network X" *not the same as the prior thread

Reaction score
Hello, I recently switched to Mac from PC.

I've had my Intel-based MacBook since December 2006 and have been able to connect to my home wireless network (router: 2WIRE, internet provider: comcast) without any problem.

Just two weeks ago, I couldn't connect to my home network anymore. It gave me the error message "there was an error joining the wirless network 2WIRE576". I didn't change any of my mac setting at all. Maybe the only thing I did was that I downloaded the security update for Airport Extreme.

However, I'm able to connect without any problem in other wireless networks (my school wireless network, apple store network, even at my friend's place). I talked to the Genius Bar and they said everything is working fine. So I thought it was my home network. However, my other housemates are having no problem with the network, i.e. they're still able to connect fine and without any problems. They're using PC though. One of them has a Mac desktop (PowerPC) and it connects to the router with cable and it's connecting alright to the internet.

So, my hypothesis right now is the fact that I have Intel-based Mac. And is it because the latest security update for Airport Extreme?

Thank you much in advance for your help guys,

Alvin

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello, I recently switched to Mac from PC.

I've had my Intel-based MacBook since December 2006 and have been able to connect to my home wireless network (router: 2WIRE, internet provider: comcast) without any problem.

Just two weeks ago, I couldn't connect to my home network anymore. It gave me the error message "there was an error joining the wirless network 2WIRE576". I didn't change any of my mac setting at all. Maybe the only thing I did was that I downloaded the security update for Airport Extreme.

However, I'm able to connect without any problem in other wireless networks (my school wireless network, apple store network, even at my friend's place). I talked to the Genius Bar and they said everything is working fine. So I thought it was my home network. However, my other housemates are having no problem with the network, i.e. they're still able to connect fine and without any problems. They're using PC though. One of them has a Mac desktop (PowerPC) and it connects to the router with cable and it's connecting alright to the internet.

So, my hypothesis right now is the fact that I have Intel-based Mac. And is it because the latest security update for Airport Extreme?

Thank you much in advance for your help guys,

Alvin

I'm guessing you're having the exact same problem I had. First try switching your router over to WPA2 if it's currently set to WPA encryption. If that does the trick, leave it alone. If not, you can revert back to the original driver by following the steps included in this article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13'' 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gig of ram, 6x Superdrive
no!!

I Dont Have A Macfixit Account, And I Need The Instructions!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Dont Have A Macfixit Account, And I Need The Instructions!!

You do realize I wrote that post almost 5 months ago, don't you?

It's been so long since I posted that, they have actually removed the instructions. Even still, Apple has released several updates to the Airport drivers since then, making that particular problem largely irrelevant.

Try enabling SSID broadcast and switching to WPA2. That should correct your issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13'' 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gig of ram, 6x Superdrive
no but i need to get the older Airport driver because of my faulty airport driver

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no but i need to get the older Airport driver because of my faulty airport driver

I don't think you understand what's happened since that time.

Apple released a faulty version of the Airport driver in February. The link I posted contains instructions on how to revert to the version prior to that. Since that time, Apple has come out with two newer revisions that correct the problem.

Long story made short, reverting to the older driver is now irrelevant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.