• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Wonder if anyone else knew about this.

M

MacHeadCase

I did. I dunno how exactly I got there one day, but I did and bookmarked it. Some of us find it useful.
icon12.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
scweb or someoen made that so that someone could do a project bc they needed to know all the member names

OP
N
Reaction score
Cool, its in your Profile>Buddy/Ignore List (I have no idea what this is used for ... how do you ignore someone?)>To view the complete members list, click here.

M

MacHeadCase

Cool, its in your Profile>Buddy/Ignore List (I have no idea what this is used for ... how do you ignore someone?)>To view the complete members list, click here.

Ahh that must have been it then!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Very neat, you can sort it as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
yea that is a neat feature to play with whenever you need to find somebody but cant remember their entire name....

pulse-8 how you doin havent seen you in a while
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
yea that is a neat feature to play with whenever you need to find somebody but cant remember their entire name....

pulse-8 how you doin havent seen you in a while
-chris

you can also search for usernames in Spotlight fashion here by typing in the Search by User Name box. As an example I began to search for coach_z buy typing "coa".

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
You add their member name to your ignore list. Then whatever posts that person makes will not be visible to you.

I've been on other forums, and only once has anyone ever been on my ignore list. As I recall, he was banned pretty quickly thereafter, given his goal was disruption.

OP
N
Reaction score
Cool michaeldtumpf ... one question ... how does the buddy ignore list thing work ... I can't for the life of me figure out why i would need this but it's always there ... so I always am reminded of this feature ... any ideas?

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks mathogre, you and I posted exactly at the same time ... it seems kinda bizarre to not see someones posts if they are helping you out in a thread you might have created ... sort of like biting off ya nose to spite ya face kinda stuff.

M

MacHeadCase

Well the type of member you put on your Ignore list usually doesn't help around much. :cool:

And it is weird. I did it once myself and when you try to follow a thread you get a post with something like "Ignore_Member_Name posted here but he/she is on your Ignore list. Do you want to read the post anyway?" or something similar. So it makes kinda hard to follow the natural flow of a thread. Plus it's more or less efficient, you get to see what the ignored member wrote anyway if another member quotes him/her in his own post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Thanks mathogre, you and I posted exactly at the same time ... it seems kinda bizarre to not see someones posts if they are helping you out in a thread you might have created ... sort of like biting off ya nose to spite ya face kinda stuff.
Hi Pulse-8!

I only did it the one time (on a different forum) because the person was extremely annoying and obnoxious. He made enough of a jerk of himself that he was eventually banned. As MHC said too, it's rather weird doing it.

My guess is that forum software packages like vBulletin (which is what Mac-Forums runs) have an ignore list as a carryover from the days of Usenet. In Usenet, people would have killfiles that contained names of other people whose posts would be dumped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.