Quick question for 5th gen ipod owners

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a 5th gen video ipod to replace my 3rd gen ipod. I currently use my ipod almost exclusively in my car via a cable hooked up to the dock connector at the bottom. My concern is whether or not the 5th gen ipod video uses the same dock connector or if it's different somehow. Can anybody fill me in on this? Also, according to the apple website, the ipod includes a "Dock adapter for use with Universal Dock" in the box. So you don't get a new dock? What exactly is the dock adapter?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
All the "dock" connectors are the same. So the cable that works with your 3rd gen, will work just the same with your 5th gen.

The universal dock is the new dock that will fit all iPods with a dock connector. It is mostly open on the top, so the adapter is a piece that fits into the top to make it fit the ipod better.

OP
N
Reaction score
Cool. Just wanted to make sure that if I got a new one it would still work with my car adapter.

So if I'm reading apple's words and your word correctly, they just include the little adapter plate to fit the ipod better and not a whole new dock all together, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
yep, thats right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.