Router Question

V

vicreoy

Hey Everyone,

I am going to be getting powerlink cable internet installed here at my apartment next week. I want to rout the connection to my roommates computer which is on the other side of the apartment....about 50 feet away. He has a windows me machine, and I have panther....does anyone have any router suggestions? And would a wireless router be a good idea, or should I just stick to the good old wired ones?

Thanks in advance.
Peace,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I use wired... and over distances its nice to have the speed.

I suggest linksys or netgear.. but really.. pretty much any router is good.. FW router is something nice as well if your HS connected.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

really any router will do the job..linksys is a good..well known brand with good support. id try to stay away from something you havent heard, names like belkin, lnksys, dlink, netgear. dont get microsoft just cause everything they have is junk as we all know.
i have a airport thats gets bridged over to a d-link..and have had no issues :)

OP
C

Chamorro

I'll just add that if you're just looking to share the internet connection, wireless would work fine too. If you're going to be transferring large files as well as sharing the connection, wired or wireless-G (Airport Extreme) would be better.

That said, I think wired will be easier to set up...just make sure your router has enough ports (i.e. a router/hub w/ 3 ports - 1 for the modem and 2 for the computers).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.