• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

MacBook arrived and I am surprisingly disappointed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I'm going to do a search on how to resolve this - I'm not asking for help yet - unless you want to wade in...

Anyway - I couldn't wait any longer so decided to buy - but I decided that - actually I might as well get a refurb product and have some change to put towards an iPod :)

Maybe the refurb was not the best route.

Firstly I was surprised it came in a boring brown box - looked no where near as cool as the images I've seen of new MacBook packaging - however lets be honest - who really cares about that - the box will be living in the attic anyways!

Secondly and perhaps the most irritating; the MacBook was not set to a new state. By this I mean it has a User name on it - maybe it's the guy that tested it at apple - I don't know - but I am unable to make any changes because I don't have this guys password - I'm really gutted about that - I am really surprised they would do that.

I think I've seen posts about doing something during boot up to reset the password so I'm going to do a search now - seriously though - this took the wind right out of my sails. I was chuffed with it - carrying it around - to see what I thought of the weigh and stuff - even making sure my power adaptor thing didn't get put on anything dirty (VERY SAD this will change soon) And then I boot it up... I was expecting something to ask for my name and to ask me to setup a password or something - when it booted straight in - no probs - but not being able to make changes???????????

Delivery from Apple was SUPER FAST though - maybe too fast for them to sort out this other user?

My iPod came from Amazon - it's beautiful - wish I'd bought one years ago! (also super fast delivery BTW)

Well off to do a little search.... :(

My name's Dave and I own a Mac - and I'm not quite as happy as I thought I'd be - well not yet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link - I've sorted the password now - I'm wondering should I just rename the old user account or create a new one then delete the old one?

Any thoughts? There doesn't look like any user files left behind....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Using the recovery media, I would do a fresh install and set it up the way you want it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I always do a fresh install when I get a Mac, even if its brand new. That way I can customize the install, and make sureit has everything I want, and doesn't have stuff I don't want.

I would recommend doing that, that way you'll even get the "new mac" experience, and you won't have to worry about user names or anything like that.

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice people.

I'm going to do a full install tomorrow then. I've done the password and added a new account and removed the old one - it's all good for now - but I'll still follow your advice tomorrow.

The Mac connected to my access point and found a few updates it wants - maybe 50MB worth of stuff - that was nice a simple - it just worked :)

My name is Dave and I own a MacBook - I love it - I'm happy again.

Now I wish I didn't buy the iPod at the same time - too many toys - not enough time - been laying a floor all day - knackered!

Thanks for your help/advice - I'm going to hook my iPod up to the PC and get my stuff ready for the MacBook :)

Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchases Dave! Don't be sad about your refurb having a user account set up! When I bought my iMac G5 just over a year ago it was brand new but the price had been reduced as it was one of the last ones available here.

I was so happy, pulled it carefully out of the box and turned it on and it booted into a user account. The Mac Shop where I bought it had set it up and had put their shops name as the .mac account and as the owner of the Mac so I had a really hard time trying to find a way to remove their name and put my own in. Every username seemed to be greyed out so it took me a while to find all the locations to change.

Eventually i did a re-install and it was then I got to experience the Mac installation thrill!

So, it's already been advised - reinstall Mac OS X and claim it for your own  ...and just enjoy!

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Pulse-8

I've just noticed either something strange with my MacBook or a real bonus - definitely worth a dodgy user account left on the machine - I ordered the 2Ghz Core 2 Duo White MacBook with 1GB Ram (Standard stuff) the system profiler claims 2GB RAM - Firstly is there a known bug in OS X that is just getting it wrong and everyone has this - or have I just become a very happy camper?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I think you have become a happy camper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
if u dont believe os x, just take out the battery and check to see if theres 2gb. If there is, your one lucky guy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Yeah they sometimes come with extra ram. I know people that buy refurb and get extra. That is so cool!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great deal! 2GB ram.

I still would do what Rman suggested and install fresh. Who knows what the 1st owner did. That way it will be like when you get a brand new one.

Reaction score
congrats on your new purchase. I also noticed the brown box disappointment, but got over it once I opened it up and saw the screen.

I order two refurb machines and had none of the previous user issues that you are talking about. I must say that is kinda scary!

Goodl uck with your machine and ask tons of questions....I do!

Reaction score
I do a fresh install regardless of whether the mac is new or a refurb. Both refurb Macs I've bought have always come higher specc'ed than advertised. Maybe they just quote the standard specs of that particular model and don't actually check.

Don't let these minor quibbles put you off. They will pale into insignificance once you start using your MacBook.

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An update:

I love my MacBook

I ended up doing a reinstall last night and what with playing with a few things and what have you - I was up till about 4am...

I'm just about to start the work of getting the files and stuff from my old machine to the new one - set up Firefox with my existing profile - that sort of thing.

Looks like a busy bit of time ahead of me.

I love my iPod as well, it's awesome - I hoped that I could get everything with the aid of my iPod and then just sync it all with the MacBook - it is such a shame this is not possible (without using it as a HDD) I think I'll use the network to pull the data over to the MacBook - I think that'll be faster than using USB to transfer to iPod and then back from iPod...

OP
RNDdave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm posting from Firefox on my MacBook - the profile for Firefox & Thunderbird copied over just fine - so I have all my bookmarks, email filters and web passwords on the new computer - very happy :D (Can I change the name of this thread?)

The documents have copied over fine (letters, CVs, Applications etc.)

Now for the music, photos, couple of videos, blah blah blah.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.