• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burn internal DVD to external DVD?

S

shaneb

Here's the short of it: I have a 8X external burner and an iBook G4 that plays dvds. Can I burn straight DVD to DVD, note for note? Simple?

----------------------
Here's the long of it: OSX on my new iBook G4 has been a dream thus far, automatically just doing whatever I needed it to no matter what I hooked into it: printer, scanner, floppy, ipod, wireless keyboard & mouse, and on and on. BUT, I just bought a TDK indi DVD +-R/+-RW DVD 8X burner and I'm just making more and more coasters.

First question is this: it has USB 2.0 and Firewire 1394 outs. The ibook won't recognize the USB 2.0 but it will the Firewire? Why is that? Isn't the USB 2.0 faster? Why won't it catch the USB hookup? The port is fine.....

Then we get to the actual burning: I have an internal DVD player in my ibook, and now an external DVD burner, can't I just burn one dvd movie to another dvd, note for note? I installed Toast 6 Titanium and it keeps giving me underrun errors at 4X and 2X speeds (and I thought this thing burnt at 8X anyway)....

So after 2 wasted discs I thought I would use MacTheRipper, that I read is used a lot, and I ripped a DVD, now it's at like 7GB and the blank only holds 4GB or whatever.... Can someone point me to some FAQ, walkthrough, tutorial, or something, this is driving me nuts, and honestly, I know there is a ton to learn to do all this, but I just want to burn from a dvd playing in my ibook to my external dvd, *** for tat, backup my dvds and move on. I shouldn't HAVE to learn all kinds of stuff, ya know?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
First question is this: it has USB 2.0 and Firewire 1394 outs. The ibook won't recognize the USB 2.0 but it will the Firewire? Why is that? Isn't the USB 2.0 faster? Why won't it catch the USB hookup? The port is fine.....

Your iBook has a USB 1.2 port, which can not read an USB 2.0 device.
I have read reports that firewire is still faster than USB. Firewaire 2 is faster than USB 2. But that is not your question. What I have read was that firewire can keep aconstant higher transfer rate than the USB.

OP
S

shaneb

Thanks, but no, it is USB 2.0... so I'm still confused about why it won't recognize?

OP
C

Chamorro

shaneb said:

Then we get to the actual burning: I have an internal DVD player in my ibook, and now an external DVD burner, can't I just burn one dvd movie to another dvd, note for note? I installed Toast 6 Titanium and it keeps giving me underrun errors at 4X and 2X speeds (and I thought this thing burnt at 8X anyway)....

First - you can't just copy DVD's like CD's. Search through the forum; there are lots of topics on that subject. DVD movie discs can typically hold 9.4 GB of data, whereas blank DVD-R's hold 4.7. Basically you'll need DVDBackup and 42MP+ or DVD2oneX to make the movie fit standard DVD-R's.

Second - I'm not sure why the iBook won't recognize the USB 2.0, but I have to say that USB 2.0 is NOT faster than FireWire. USB 2.0 may advertise higher throughput, but there's also more "bus overhead". Also, USB is not designed for continuous-throughput activities, it's designed for bursts of information in "packets". FireWire's better for what you're trying to do.

Sorry about the rant...I just had a CompUSA salesperson try to tell me that USB 2.0 would be "way, way faster" than FireWire...talk about bad info :mad:

OP
S

shaneb

Don't apologize! I thought the same thing! Thanks for the info! For real!

I've been ahmmering them out using MactheRipper, then DVD2oneX, then Toast (jeebus!), isn't there anyway to combine those first two steps?

And, anybody got any pointers on software that will rip to AVI or whatever so I can fit a few of those on one disc? Thanks!

OP
C

Chamorro

shaneb said:
Don't apologize! I thought the same thing! Thanks for the info! For real!

I've been ahmmering them out using MactheRipper, then DVD2oneX, then Toast (jeebus!), isn't there anyway to combine those first two steps?

And, anybody got any pointers on software that will rip to AVI or whatever so I can fit a few of those on one disc? Thanks!

You might want to check out KaiSakura, and look under 42-MP and 42-VX....I've heard people recommend these.

OP
K

kojo

hey,
are you ripping the dvds on the your hard drive first? basicly when its tellign you that you had a under run. basicly means its trying to put infomation on the cd that isnt there.

dom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.